• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I'm on the hunt...

Craig

I agree with Andy - get the NEQ6 Pro then you can pretty much put any ota on it (excluding big dobs). You can get them around £700 "nearly new" - then decide on the tube later. The 925 is pushing the payload on a CG5. :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craig

• Doc

• Brantuk

• catman161

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I thought, hence looking at the EQ6.

Is the EQ6 compatible with any particular type of dovetail bar?

Thanks both.

I know I want the NEQ6 and I can get one as part of a package with a 250PDS or 300P on it. (likely the 250PDS or I may find myself lifting overhead again)

Then I could change the OTA at a later date... I think that will be my long term plan. It gives me more time to read up on imaging.

The 250P is about the most you wanna put on it Craig - pretty good for visual but forget photography (I know you're an observer). Despite it's capacity the 10" is a huge sail and you'll be forever waiting for anything bigger to settle down. Seting up's also a bit lengthy and intensive. I'd stick to 200P or 925 to be honest - or a nice frac. :)

craig

200 p is nice, its the one i have and its not tooooo big so will fit at side of your fridge :-)

Sheila

Hey Craig laying flat (doctors orders) gets boring so I inevitably end up searching the web for astro related stuff on iPhone. <br /><br />Anyway I saw this deal from scs astro and thought it was pretty reasonable price for what you're getting. <br /><br />http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/explorer-300pds-neq6-pro.htm

Edited by catman161

Also (off topic) but maybe you can answer-why when I edit my posts using iPhone and tapatalk do I get the funny br/ and &:39 type stuff?

It really annoys me on a purely aesthetic level :)

What worries me Craig is you have no room in your house, an EQ6 and a maybe a big CAT is quite a set up especially if it needs stripping down after every session, it soon becomes a chore.

The main problem was the lifting, the room for storage I can sort (though it really pisses the girlfriend off! :lol:).

I want to "meet" an NEQ6 so I can have a go at lifting one, before I purchase.

I'm likely to venture towards a 250PDS/200P given the advice and experience of the old tubes weight.

Oh no, it wouldn't be left up. :P

This is another reason to see the mount in the flesh, to gauge how easy it would be to store.

You're welcome to come over and check out the NEQ6 any time Craig. Though Sheila might be closer for you and I'm sure she'd oblige. Just let me know if you'd like to arrange a visit here. :)

I'll get Kim to take a photograph! :lol:

NEQ6 and C9.25 does seem a popular combination, based on SGL and comments above.

Remove the fridge and remove the missus - all problems solved lol :)

LOL I'll suggest it!!!

craig, i have NEQ6 and you have seen how large I am and I manage to lug it around and in and out of the back of the van.

Dont know where you live but you can come and have a look at the one I have, also have EQ5 but i think that is not up to what you want to do.

Sheila