• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I'm on the hunt...

Craig

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craig

• Doc

• Brantuk

• catman161

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just waiting for the car now (Emma is out) to go and get it.

I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Will give a report of condition and such when I am back. :)

Here's what I got...

Celestron C9.25 XLT Fastar

NEQ6

Mains PSU for NEQ6

Celestron branded dew shield

1.25" diagonal (the standard one that comes with the scope)

2" Teleskop Service diagonal

Celestron coma corrector

Badder finder-scope mounting bracket (the original too, but this one is solid)

Standard Celestron finder scope

9 x 50 finder scope

20 months warranty remaining on the OTA and NEQ6 mount.

£1,800 all in.

I am well chuffed!

Cheers Felix

I am resisting the urge to put it all together now... Must read the manuals first!

Nice one. Iam pleased you have got a right bargain.

Enjoy your new scope and all the other kit.

Read the manuals.......tut tut, your'e a bloke, you only read the manual when you can't get it to work! :)

Have fun mate.

Cheers Felix

I am resisting the urge to put it all together now... Must read the manuals first!

Do it! We (Men) are great at that kind of stuff. Just put it together, if it looks like the pictures (don't waste time reading) and fits its all good ;)

Nice one. Iam pleased you have got a right bargain.

In fairness, I didn't have to haggle. The chap selling it put up a great bargain that I couldn't resist.

Have fun mate.

Cheers :)

Fantastic buy, enjoy the manuals. ;-)

Yes... :lol:

It came with some custom written manuals that are a bit more comprehensive than the standard ones. They're quite good!

Do it! We (Men) are great at that kind of stuff. Just put it together, if it looks like the pictures (don't waste time reading) and fits its all good ;)

No way! :lol:

Here are some pictures. :P

gallery_1_9_104561.jpg

gallery_1_9_5853.jpg

Of course, I as yet have no idea what I am doing with regards to balancing so I am going to leave that for another night. It's now all safely boxed up.

To balance it - attach weights, diagonal, and an eyepiece and any other gear the ota will carry in use. Lock the RA in horizontal position (use a spirit level on the weights bar) - then unlock the Dec and carefully loosen the shoe very slightly and slide the OTA along on it's dovetail till it balances on the Dec axis horizontally.

Once that's balanced - lock the Dec horizontal and then carefully unlock RA - slide the weights in/out along the bar till RA balances horizontally as well. Make sure it balances both sides of RA axis. When done - bring it all back to horizontal and you're set to go.

At all times make sure you are holding the gear just in case it suddenly slips and catches you unaware. Don't want it to suddenly drop one side or other and hit the tripod legs as you loosen stuff - you'll soon get used to it but first time be fully aware of where the weight is likely to tip and have a hand ready to catch. :)

Will do. :)

I did persuade my girlfriend this would be a "small setup". She was not impressed! :lol:

Will do. :)

I did persuade my girlfriend this would be a "small setup". She was not impressed! :lol:

I could imagine.

Will it fit past the fridge, or has the fridge gone?

;)

I was going to ask that but I thought Craig was getting a little peefed with the joke :lol:

You bloody gitbags! :lol:

This is awesome, the OTA is only 9kg and is much smaller (obviously) that the previous bucket. So much more manageable.

I've also had a good go carrying the mount and tripod together and don't believe it'll present me with any problems.

I can't wait to try it out.

I do need to buy an adapter to power it (from the battery to a cigarette socket) and found one one Amazon for £3.29. I'll be ordering that tomorrow. :)