• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astronomy Apps for iPad 2

Craig

Having taken a plunge into the world of Apple (I was never a fan!) and buying an iPad 2, I wondered what apps people would recommend.

I already have Star Chart and Star Walk installed, but with 16GB of memory to fill I wouldn't mind a few more worthwhile apps on it.

You can get stellarium, night sky, world explorer, virtual solar system in 3D. Di just got these for her new ipad.

There's 236 apps for astro she says - some free, some cost a coupla quid :)

At the Astronomy Shed Christmas dinner last weekend one of our members was actually remote controlling his Obsy at him from the dinner table.

DSC00022.jpg

Using remote software he was driving the mount, autoguiding and you could see the subs coming in.

DSC00021.jpg

Wonders of modern science.

What software was he using Noel?

Will try those apps Kim, I have way too much spare time when it rains! :D

Don't know what Stellarium is like on the IPad2 but on the Iphone4s it is not good, Star Walk is good however.

Guest wisewoman

Hey there I've tried loads of astronomy apps on my iPhone ( so should all be fine for iPad) The best and most detailed i think is Starmap pro but it's pricey. I also like Pocket Universe, Distant Suns and Sky Safari.

Other handy ones to have are a Mars and Moon maps apps available on the AppStore.

I also have another app to tell me about Iridium Flares and GoSat ( I think it Is) that tells me about the satellites.

Plus I have my iPhone synched with a couple of different astronomical calendars and dates of significant things, like meteor showers, automatically appear as reminders on my calendar. :)

Let me know if you want names of the other apps I mention though an AppStore search should turn them up.

Can't you tell I'm an iPhone geek ;)

Melissa ( typing this on the iPhone! Lol)

Guest wisewoman

Yes I'm not too far from Burleigh College. :)

As an aside I don't know why my location has started appearing at the bottom of my posts ?! I can't immediately find anything in my profile settings ?

Wisewoman, I often drive past you then, passing Burleigh Community College?

I'd pm Craig, could be some sort of forum setting.

Blame Apple! lol

If you're using an iPhone or iPad to post, make sure geotagging is off. :)

Guest Bryndalf

I think ive got about 40 Astro apps now (ipod touch, iphone and ipad...yes i know :) )

I mostly use pocket universe on the iphone and sky safari on the ipad,

Sorry Craig, should of known better than to blame the forum.

It had me baffled for ages! :D

Not at app as such, but I've just downloaded from iBooks an interactive version of Wonders of the Solar System for £8.99. Includes a short video with Brian Cox introducing each chapter. Looks good :)

Exoplanet is a great new app. The title speaks for itself - it's very impressive, constantly updated and FREE!

I didn't realise that 700+ exoplanets have been discovered already, amazing stuff.

That is a superb app! I love the Milky Way part... Double tap the screen and watch it go! :D

It makes me feel very insigificant in the grand scheme of things.