• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS1 - MESSIER HUNT?

Guest Tweedledum

Guest Tweedledum

The Messier hunt went cold for the summer (and damp!). If this is something the folk going to the EMS1 would like to do I have the target sheets ready to go, Bronze,Silver, Gold & Platinum for those of you with larger apperture scopes. Targets there for all including those with Bino's.

If you can get onto the dunes at Anderby Creek or the sea wall you will have an awesome sea horizon to the East.

I can send you the pdf's too.

Cheers

Damian

I like the sound of this too. A nice bit of competitive fun. Who will judge whether what we have in FOV is the right object and is use of wixeys & setting circles and other goto aids banned?

Edited by catman161

Sounds good to me, fun and learning to find some of the objects we might not otherwise have seen. Count me in. :)

Guest Tweedledum

As Doc will be vigilator, he will have mr lightning,....No goto, wixeys ipads, iphones -=== cmos treacle via mr lightning :D ...(portable van der graaf generator)

Doc, i'll send you the pdf's.

Hope you have a great time all.

Cheers

Damian

So rules are:

No Go-to

No Wixey

No setting circles

No laptops, Ipads etc.

Just charts supplied by Damian, and pointing aids such as finders, Telrads etc, and stat charts, maps etc.

Is that correct?

Doh, and I was hoping for a good chance to try my wixey/setting circle mod out! (If I ever get it finished) :)

Guest Tweedledum

He He,

No maps, RA & DEC,constellation & type of object, apart from that Doc has it spot on, though I am sure open to persuasion via large quantities of red wine....

If anyone is interested generally in sketching the messier objects I have a great PDF called the Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies (IFAS) The messier Objects Observing Challenge. Bung me a PM and Ill email ove the file I ring binded mine and intend to start using it at EMS1. Not in the competition though just my own little thing. It's really good as it has every object listed and on each page (1 page per object it has info, th FOV circle for you to sketch in, the lot its great. See the example picture the whole lot are like that. I laminate the front and back of mine and spiral bound them all together.

qu2yvehe.jpg

Edited by catman161

I'll give it a go, so far i've managed the moon and Jupiter by myself, i've a lot to learn lol. ;-)

M31 Andromeda will be naked eye :) you will love the views.