• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Afternoon DeLites

Nightspore

nice     rude no to    😀

I have 7 and 18.2 delites and i have to say they are now my favourites over my Vixen lvws.

12 hours ago, philjay said:

I have 7 and 18.2 delites and i have to say they are now my favourites over my Vixen lvws.

The 18.2mm was my first, the series was quite new then and there were less lengths. I had the 7mm DeLite briefly (twice) but both had to be returned for visible debris. 

5dDi7t2l.jpg

I had a few problems with 7mm EP's at that time. Meanwhile the 7mm 'Sky-Watcher' (probably Barsta) was perfect ... and relatively inexpensive. I still have it somewhere.

Well the way i look at it, if the late Paul Dellachaiae of Tele-vue had a hand in it's design you are guaranteed a 'delightful' view 😀

I've only ever owned the 15mm. I brought a pair of them at a trade show to try in the bino, but to be honest i couldn't get on with them.

Eye placement seemed really tricky go get right, and i had trouble merging the view properly. 

But as a single eyepiece on its own, mono viewing, they were excellent. Beautiful build quality, eye relief, and lovely sharp views.

I guess i'm a Panoptic man at heart !! 😀

I only kept the Delites a short while after, and sold them on, for pretty much what they cost me.

I had a similar experience with 2x Delos which were just too bulky in the bino.

My quest for a 15mm binoviewing pair went on until i found the APM Ultra flat 15mm which i still have, and give me 170x power which is more than enough for most nights.

An obvious question for me is how does the 18.2mm Delite compare to your 19mm Panoptic ? Do you like one over the other ??

4 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Well the way i look at it, if the late Paul Dellachaiae of Tele-vue had a hand in it's design you are guaranteed a 'delightful' view 😀

I've only ever owned the 15mm. I brought a pair of them at a trade show to try in the bino, but to be honest i couldn't get on with them.

Eye placement seemed really tricky go get right, and i had trouble merging the view properly. 

But as a single eyepiece on its own, mono viewing, they were excellent. Beautiful build quality, eye relief, and lovely sharp views.

I guess i'm a Panoptic man at heart !! 😀

I only kept the Delites a short while after, and sold them on, for pretty much what they cost me.

I had a similar experience with 2x Delos which were just too bulky in the bino.

My quest for a 15mm binoviewing pair went on until i found the APM Ultra flat 15mm which i still have, and give me 170x power which is more than enough for most nights.

An obvious question for me is how does the 18.2mm Delite compare to your 19mm Panoptic ? Do you like one over the other ??

The 19mm Pan is smaller and lighter, and I really like its 13mm eye relief, which seems perfect to me. I even have a bino pair.

Xb8N19bl.jpg

The Pan is easier for me to manipulate with one hand and works beautifully in a TV Barlow. Not only because of its overall lighter weight, but there is no noticeable image degradation (no seagulls lol) when used in the 2x or 3x TV Barlow. Other make/design Barlows may vary (I'm talking about you; shorties!). 

DpvIJPdl.jpg

The flatter field of the DeLite seems to have far more contrast, not unlike an Abbe orthoscopic. It is 62° compared to the Pan's 68° but I don't actually notice the 6° difference that much. The twist eyecup mechanism also gives me some problems as I have quite limited use in my right hand and fingers. The Pan is beautifully uncomplicated. I am always a tad concerned about the Pan barrel unthreading though, which kind of precludes its use in a twist lock diagonal. Panoptics were originally designed without safety collars holding the lens groups in so as to facilitate easy cleaning at Planet Tele Vue. It really just facilitates easier accidental gravity driven disastrous egress of the internal lens groups. I've owned a 19mm Panoptic for around nine years, the 18.2mm DeLite probably around the same. I definitely owned the Pan first though. The DeLite seems more bulky to carry outside to me, especially in its larger bolt case. The 19mm Panoptic can be transported in a trouser pocket even inside a bolt case. As a consequence of the Pan's easier portability and overall simplicity it is probably my most used eyepiece of all time, and goes out regularly with my 72ED (my most used scope). The 18.2mm DeLite rarely gets out. 

Thankyou for your insights.

Its a shame your 18.2 doesn't see much use. Poor thing......😉

16 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Thankyou for your insights.

Its a shame your 18.2 doesn't see much use. Poor thing......😉

Oh, I've got plans for it with this:

uPFacBWl.jpg

Where it gives a nice round 39.2x lol.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 09:17, philjay said:

Z3un8YR.jpg

I knew I had a file of the 7mm somewhere! lol