• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

eyepiece and lens cleaning

red dwalf

i just wanted to recommend the Baader Wonder fluid and cleaning cloth for anyone thinking of giving there eyepieces or lenses a clean. i`ve been looking for something suitable for a while but as xmas was coming up thought i would go for the Wonder fluid and i`m glad i did.

i start by blowing of any dust particles with a blower bought from scope and skies for a couple of quid, then spray a small amount of wonder fluid onto the lens and using the soft cloth wipe off the excess fluid.

works a treat, does not smear, very easy to use and the eyepiece lenses look like new.

cheapest price i found was from First Light Optics £14 delivered and well worth it. 100% recommended

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.html

Edited by red dwalf

Thanks for that, I always thought it was best not to touch lenses etc but good to know there is a product out there that actually works.

works a treat, i`m one for putting my eyepieces in my coat pocket when changing them, and the lens get touched, also when it was very misty the lenses on the eyepieces and other items got dew on them which left a mark i wasn`t happy with, not alot but i like to keep the kit as clean as possiable

Edited by red dwalf

I use my hankercheif I've just blown my nose with after that awful cold i had, works wonderful except for the smears.

Only joking I use exactly the same method as you Rob and it works everytime.

You can also use a lens pen which I've used for both photography and astronomy. You remove the dust using the small brush (and a blower if you have one) and then clean the lens with the pad in circular motions.

Very easy to use.

The downside is that it doesn't work on the higher mag eyepieces with smaller exit lens (the pad is too big).

Guest Kheldar

I've got the fluid but not been brave enough to use it yet!

Any idea if the Baader filters will hold up to it? Mine could really do with a clean ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello chaps, most filters are dielectric coated now days, and that's pretty tough stuff. Most eyepieces and refractor objectives have pretty hard coatings too, and as long as you're gentle with a cotton wool bud, or micro fibre cloth, it will be no problem at all.

We tend to use isopropyl alchohol* because it's cheap in quantity. Mix that with some distilled water, say roughly 60-40, and a very small drop of detergent in about 2 litres (just to loosen up the surface tension), and you've got great cheap lens cleaning fluid.

*Er, Just try not to drink it or inhale the fumes - you may end up with a headache, LOL