• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Summer Beehive and Saturn's Edgy Rings!

Nightspore

One of my favourite sci-fi classics there. Always been a fan of 50s, 60s sci-fi.

I'm currently about a third of the way through the original 'Twilight Zone' series which are currently being shown on one of the Sky channels.

I've been missing my planetary sessions and am more than ready for another look, but may give it a month or two first so they are a bit higher in a darker sky .

I've seen some recent images of Saturn by amateurs and the rings are really getting close to being edge on.

How close i wondered ? Well, El Goog tells me it won't be for a while yet : March 23rd 2025

I think we will miss seeing that  as i'm assuming it will be too close to the sun at that time ?  Opposition is around 3 months away.

But hopefully we can see some unusual 'Saturn events' this year and next.

Its occulted by the moon on 21 August, and hopefully we get to see a 'Titan shadow transit' on 4 & 20 November, also on 6 December.

All 'bucket list items' for me to see. I just need to get out with the scope.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

One of my favourite sci-fi classics there. Always been a fan of 50s, 60s sci-fi.

I'm currently about a third of the way through the original 'Twilight Zone' series which are currently being shown on one of the Sky channels.

I've been missing my planetary sessions and am more than ready for another look, but may give it a month or two first so they are a bit higher in a darker sky .

I've seen some recent images of Saturn by amateurs and the rings are really getting close to being edge on.

How close i wondered ? Well, El Goog tells me it won't be for a while yet : March 23rd 2025

I think we will miss seeing that  as i'm assuming it will be too close to the sun at that time ?  Opposition is around 3 months away.

But hopefully we can see some unusual 'Saturn events' this year and next.

Its occulted by the moon on 21 August, and hopefully we get to see a 'Titan shadow transit' on 4 & 20 November, also on 6 December.

All 'bucket list items' for me to see. I just need to get out with the scope.....

Forbidden Planet is on my mind I think, as I watched it on You Tube recently. I recall watching it on the telly with my parents when I was about ten. It's basically a reworking of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'. 

GE64Yual.jpg

"Oh brave new world, that has such people in't." 

You might be interested with Dan Monroe's videos.

I'm not sure how much more I'll be able to see of Saturn. The Titan transits sound awesome. I may have to get a bigger scope out for them! lol

I have the Altair 10, 15 and 24mm uffs. I really enjoy using them particularly the 15mm (cyclops mode) and 24mm when binoviewing. 

Anne Francis !! Now we are talking !! 🙂

And a young Leslie Nielsen, skilfully landing the saucer.

They don't make 'em like that anymore......

1 hour ago, Streetbob said:

I have the Altair 10, 15 and 24mm uffs. I really enjoy using them particularly the 15mm (cyclops mode) and 24mm when binoviewing. 

Even SvBony does a 10mm version. My 15mm Altair is underused.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Anne Francis !! Now we are talking !! 🙂

And a young Leslie Nielsen, skilfully landing the saucer.

They don't make 'em like that anymore......

It was made on a relatively small budget.

4k7iJKR.jpg

A bit cheesy now in some places, but a definitely intelligent and thought provoking script.