• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Night vision laptop

dawson

I seem to recall someone posted something about some software which converted a laptop into red night vision mode.

Can someone remind me of the software?

I don;t have any red perspex.

Thanks.

James

Hi James,

Although most of the planetarium programs have a night vision mode, this generally doesn't work that well. Things such as the tool or task bar remain lit at full brightness.

I have invested in one of the red screen filters from StarSharp, just measure your screen and he will give you a quote.

It's a good quality product that will last for years.

http://www.morris-engraving.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks. I'll pop to HobbyCraft later and see if they've got any perspex / cellophane in, and try a home made version.

James

I've used those red screen software things in the past and allways find they mess up settings to the extent it's too much trouble to restore to normal when required. Even the one on the SaN disk was naff. Much better done with a red celophane or actate screen cover thingy.

Or keep the screen well inside your tent/caravan like I do when doing stuff remotely :)

Just make sure it's really red, if it's not the imagers will let you know, as it will make a mess of what they are trying to image.

Rother Valley Optics do a red acetate sheet, which isn't too much, and might save you the trouble of finding home made stuff.

The reason I say that is I have done this before, and by the time I finished, I had spent more than the proper version in the first place.

Just make sure it's really red, if it's not the imagers will let you know, as it will make a mess of what they are trying to image.

Rother Valley Optics do a red acetate sheet, which isn't too much, and might save you the trouble of finding home made stuff.

The reason I say that is I have done this before, and by the time I finished, I had spent more than the proper version in the first place.

A got a sheet from RVO a couple of weeks ago. Only a £5 and enough for my iPad & a laptop. Does the job nicely!

Thanks. HobbyCraft had sheets of A4 red acetate, so I've stuck two of them together and it seems to do the job.

James