• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling Heath efforts

Guest Steve

It's a lot to get to grips with - scope, mount, laptop, focusing. subs, stacking, post processing - still a lot to learn. But here are my first efforts from KH2012:

Pleiades, Andromeda, M13 and M31 - can you tell which is which?

The galaxies were through the Celestron C9.25 on an ungiuded CGEM with a Canon 450d computer controlled with BackyardEOS.

The Pleiades was taken with the Williams 66mm Petzval.

Processed in Deep Sky Stacker and some tweaking in GIMP.

Lessons learned:

• Focussing is a pain but do-able by taking previews and checking the image on the laptop - trial and error. Maybe a Bahtinov mask would make life easier.
  • 60 seconds is about as long as I can expose for before I start to see trails - I had some 120s and 180s subs that were unusable.
  • Be methodical with naming of subs for later identification.
  • I need to get a set of Darks prepared for exposure lengths and probably ISO setting. I used some darks but no flats.
  • DSS and GIMP are usable but I've no real idea what I am doing - just playing with the controls at this stage!

Next steps will be more of the same to find my feet and then maybe think about auto-guiding....

Steve