• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

An hour in the back yard

catman161

Well despite my back giving me absolute hell today, I could not resist when I saw the sky tonight. I dosed myself up on painkillers.

Out came the horizon 8115 tripod with celestron skymaster 15x70 binos.

So where to start obviously I spent quite a few minutes on the moon :) I know imagers hate the moon but tonight it looked beautiful. The more I stared the more I saw. I really should start ticking off what I actually observe on the moon. Maybe that's a project for when my back is better and I can get the 200P out again.

Next I thought I would try and find M29 again so swung the bins towards Cygnus. Went from Deneb to Sadr and it took a couple of minutes (even though I have found it before) but I found it, again just a faint smudge. Spent a few minutes looking at that and let my eyes adjust from having looked at the moon.

Next I looked at my sky&telescope star atlas and thought I would try to find M39. So I used Deneb as a starting point spent quite a few minutes looking for it but failed. So I turned my attention to Cassiopeia in the hope of finding M103. So pointed the bins straight at Ruchbah. Spent probably 10 mins scanning the area but to no avail :(

So as not to finish on a downer I spun the bins around towards Hercules and went for the old reliable M13 found it in a couple of seconds-a satisfying smudge :)

Then I had a quick look at Saturn which looked nice. Little yellow blob with ears.

Then I swung the bins back south above the rooftops of the houses behind mine in the area of Vulpecula and BAM! I saw something I had not seen before and without even having to reach for my star atlas I instantly knew I was looking at the coat hanger asterism :) I was really happy (stupid huh? To get so excited over seeing something new?!) but I'm not ashamed to admit it I was ecstatic! I spent a good 5 minutes just looking at it. It really is a lovely asterism and one I will look at again with the scope when I get a chance.

So a short session filled with a few frustrating no-finds but ended on a high with the coat hanger :)

Felix

Edited by catman161

Thats the way it goes sometimes.

M103 can be a sod to spot.

Love the coathanger.

Thats the way it goes sometimes.

M103 can be a sod to spot.

Love the coathanger.

That makes me feel a little better on the M103 front,thanks Andy :)

The coat hanger was awesome. I think it was made all the more special by the fact that I wasn't specifically looking for it if that makes sense?! I had only seen it in pictures in AN magazine before then.

Guest airBuko

Hi Felix, do You think that Horizon 8115 will be stable enough for Helios Quantum4 25x100 (about 4.6kg)? I'm looking for tripod to fix my bins. I've tried to use my Manfrotto MKC3-H01 (max load 1.5kg) but it was ridiculously unstable. I've tried also Camlink TP Carbon 28 (max load 8kg) with my bins in the store and it was far more stable but still quite shaky. I don't know what to think about Horizon 8115 (max load 4.5kg ..as far as I'm aware)

Regards

It is very stable but those are some hefty bins you got there. All I can advise is you is to find one and try em out. The 8115 is a sturdy tripod though.