• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First light with th Evostar 150.

oldfruit

I am no expert but i will begin by saying that i am very happy with this scope. I was using BST Explorer eyepieces with the scope.

I left the scope out for a couple of hours to cool down. There was a very bright Moon tonight so i started off with a couple of nice doubles. Albeiro was a real treat tonight, lovely sharp stars with wonderful orange and cool blue components.

The double double in Lyra was next and at 80x the stars were easily split with a clear space between each of the stars.

M57 was next and despite the full Moon it was still showing well in the eyepiece and the central hole was easily seen with direct vision.

M27 was located and due to the Moonlight looked quite ghostly but was obvious. The addition of my Baader O111 filter gave a much better view and the Nebula appeared elongated, hinting at the outer lobes which were seen with averted vision.

Mizar and Alcor in Ursa Major were next and i can honestly say that this is the best i have ever seen them, Beautiful pin pricks of light.

I have yet to try this scope at a dark site, but when i do i dare say that i will not be disappointed. If tonight is anything to go by then i am in for a treat.

Edited by oldfruit

Yes i will be bringing it along to EMS1. i am really looking forward to using it there as it is lovely and dark. :D

They are great scopes aren't they.

Had an AR6 that always gave fantastic views.

Have a 150 F5 Bresser at the moment that is an absolute pleasure.

The only fly in the ointment is the weight, means a good mount is essential.

John

I am currently using the scope on an EQ5, and whilst i have read that an EQ5 is the minimum required mount for the scope it seems to handle it well and everything seems to be pretty solid.

Great first light report. Really enjoyable read.

The more I look into the subject of Fracs the more I want one! It'd be nice to have a comparison to go along with the 200P

Man this hobby is a money pit!!

Maybe i will do just that Felix. Up until now i have been using a Helios 8 inch f5 newt and at some point i will be using thenewt and the refractor side by side.

Maybe i will do just that Felix. Up until now i have been using a Helios 8 inch f5 newt and at some point i will be using thenewt and the refractor side by side.

That'd be great-would the skytee 2 be able to handle them both do you know?

I`m sure the wife would agree to the additional purchase of a Skytee, not! :D

Took all my powers of pursuasion to get the scope, diagonal and tripod extension.

I`m sure the wife would agree to the additional purchase of a Skytee, not! :D

Took all my powers of pursuasion to get the scope, diagonal and tripod extension.

Keep working on it, she may give in lol!!