• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Leicester

catman161

Hello everyone, I am very new to astronomy and joined stargazers lounge and was recommended to join this forum also. I hope to learn a lot. I currently only have some Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Binoculars and a planisphere along with a great book called The stargazers handbook: An atlas of the night sky. Hopefully when I have learnt a bit more I might think about getting a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p dobsonian or an Orion XT8 Classic-will wait and see.

Edited by catman161

Thanks for the warm welcome guys-much appreciated :). Have removed the geotagging-thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys-much appreciated :). Have removed the geotagging-thanks for the heads up.

Yeah it's a good idea to not advertise where your kit is, just in case we have some "unwelcome" visitors. You can add your self to the "Member Map" at the very top of the forum, if you put your postcode in, it just gives an rough idea of where you are, lots of us on here have done that!

Happy new year to all :). Have just checked weather forecast for Leicester area and it it currently says "clear skies". Will try and drive out of the city tonight and see what I can see.

Hi Felix and welcome to EMS.

I had my binos out earlier and caught the moon and Jupiter until it clouded over yet again! :(

Hi David,

Yeah I had my bins out earlier too. Considering I live in the city and there is a lot of light pollution I can see quite a lot. Had great views of Jupiter,and 3 moons and Auriga too. Is still looking clear out there right now I'm tempted to go and have a quick look before bed-gotta be up at 5:15am!!