• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

auto focus for evostar 150

Guest june1902

Guest june1902

hi, john here, having just purchased the evostar with june, i was looking forward to fitting an

auto focus unit,as seen on many astronomy shop sites for around £50 !!

it appears not :( ian at RVO informed me that they do fit the earlier version of evostar 150

but this later version (with the silver thumb wheel's ) it wont :( :(

sooooooo! anyone know another option to achive this???

without sawing off the thumb wheel and making one fit !!!

maybe a replacement focus unit (but that's expensive ) and such a waste as she hasn't looked thru the new one yet !! any idea's would be welcome :D

Guest Madatter

I fitted one to my skywatcher 130 on Wednesday, black wheels, I had to hacksaw the wheel off, drill the adaptor out and drill an extra hole in the bracket, but it works great, it was cheaper than a new focuser which I will have to buy if I sell it on later.

Is this regarding the bracket?

By this I mean the bracket that comes with the auto focuser?

If so, if you have a word with Graham who is a member on here, he owns/runs his own business making bespoke stuff for us astro types. If you give him dimensions and photos etc, I'm sure he could whip something up for you.

The amount of stuff he has made for folks on here is unbelievable.

Doh, JohnC beat me to it.

Edited by Daz type-r

Guest june1902

hi, guy's, reckon i could cobble up a bracket without much trouble, the bit im unsure of is hacksawing the turnwheel off !!!

as there's no going back from that point lol, what i need to know is......is the drive shaft the same diameter with the new shafts

and do i need to file a flat into it....IE:- is the motor connection D shaped with grub screw......or round with grub screw ??

Edited by june1902

Do you have to hacksaw the turn wheel off, when I fitted my electric focuser the turn wheel was held on with a small grub screw, allowing it to be refitted if I ever took the electric focuser off?

Guest june1902

yep !! unfortunatly sky-watcher in there infinate wisdom must have decided to make them one piece so they are not threaded or grub screwed !! and only around 3/4" left if wheel removed so not a lot to play with......just checked the shaft diameter against the one on the SW200 that is 7.8mm dia.......and the one i need to alter is 8.4mm steve/madatter said he had to rebore the motor sleeve so maybe the later shaft's are slightly larger dia.....think i will have to fork out the £50 squid and hope i can do somthing with it !!!

teleskop service do focuser and motor but at around £300 it's an expensive way to go lol.

That's a shame, my scope is a sky watcher, must be the difference between the models. Good luck with what ever you decide to do and keep us informed of how you get on.

Guest june1902

hi, john, just had a look at that......looks the the part i must say,will have to investigate it's potential for motorising !!

just went on ebay to look see !! and spotted an older version of our focuser (black wheels ) with 4 mins to go so threw a bid on it and got it for £16....it came off the startravel 150....but should be same ( i hope :( ) but that version does take the motor kit so fingers crossed lol

Guest Madatter

i will let you know how we get on,when it arrives :) if not then im afraid the SW200 is for the chop :D

After hacksawing it off i found mine was threaded, but i couldnt undo it, worth a try. Replacement focuser start at £25 on flebay.

Guest june1902

well i couldn't resist,norm a guy on the astroshed site convinced me to try to undoo them,

and with the help of mole grips yay!! they do unthread,just held on with good locking agent!!

so will be ordering the remote unit this week thank's for your help guy's i will follow up when it's up and running :D

That's good to hear, I thought it odd that they wouldn't screw off or were grub screwed on.

All well that ends well.