• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What dyou reckon this is?

philjay

I set the scope and camera on NGC7331 and frreinds last night for an hour just to have a look at what I could get in luminence

I just did a quick process and started to try and identify all the galaxies but cant identify the blob marked.

Is there a comet nearby? Skymap doesnt show one

any ideas

Phil

Thats further away Kim. I dont reckon Ive discovered a comet tho Ive just found a couple of images with it in on the tinternet but Skymap doesnt reference it and the background images you can load are missing in that area. Oh well no comet philjay 2012 :(:D

Blimey I see what you mean - there's loads of stuff round there but sadly none of it seems to be a comet. :)

Apparently...there was a comet in Pegasus last night....I just googled it ;) It's on cloudy nights telescope reviews forum so maybe you got it in your image? But I am no expert lol....

Edit: Found it's name....comet 168p/Hergenrother

Edited by Celeste

Phil it's PGC2051985 a 16.8 mag galaxy found it on Sky6 planetarium.

Managed to get a screen shot of it.

I think that is PGC 2051985

/>http://kizny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/2009.07.27_NGC_7331_4h_v4_Annotated.jpg

/>http://njastro.org/agx/image/galaxy-plus

Ugh! wish I'd said that earlier - I saw that PGC thing on Stellarium but had no idea what PGC was and couldn't zoom into it. It must be several miles away lol :)

Not many planetarium suites show it, have looked on CduC and Stellarium and it's not on my ones. So I tried Sky6 and there it was, being mag 16.8 I'm surprised Phil caught it.

PGC = Principal Galaxy Catalog