• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My first image

Guest David Pugh

I would say there is nothing wrong with that for a first attempt, got some nice colour and nice detail, I would be well pleased with that. Well done, keep at it, you can only get better.

Smashing first image David - I can tell you've done a lot of research getting that quality first time - congrats :)

Guest David Pugh

Thanks people.

I have done a bit of research, although I dread it everytime, as it normally turns out that I need yet another accessory. :ph34r:

Fingers crossed that it is clear tonight and I will give it another go. I think that this picture was slightly overexposed, so will try different settings.

I was also continually manually guiding trying to keep the object in centre. I have since read it's better to let it go to edge and then guide back. So will give that a go and see if the results are better.

Guest David Pugh

Thanks Baz and Paul.

So you manually tracked??????

What were you using, ccd, dslr????

I have a goto C8, using NexImage ccd. I changed to direction rate down low, and then intermittently used the direction keys to keep Jupiter in the centre looking at image on the laptop. Overall I took about 2000 frames.

Not really sure that this is what you are supposed to do or not. But seem to make sense to me.

Great photo David.

After observing Jupiters magnificence a few times through my new (and first) scope, I'm excited about getting into Astrophotography at the earliest opportunity!