• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bird Watching Sat 6th October at Holme, Norfolk.

Doc

Was at my caravan at the weekend and we went to Holme next to Sea on Saturday. High Tide was at 10.30 so got there about 9.30 and stayed till 11.30.

A very warm day with a little breeze, there was quite a few professional birders around doing sea watching.

Out at sea and in the distance we saw Common Scoters, must have been over 100. A Bonxie aka Great Skua flew by, pretty close could easily make out it's markings and distinct shape.

A couple of Artic Skuas were also noted as were four Gannets, two of them juvinilles, which came right to the shoreline.

There was also a Guillimot in winter attire swimming in the sea about 50 yards of the beach.

About 6 Common Terns were fishing out at sea, kept diving in loads of times, they were there for the complete two hours.

Loads of Comorants and someone said a few Shags, but I couldn't tell them apart with my scope. Later on I aslo noted three Red Throated Divers flying by.

On the beach in front of us appeared a fantastic Wheatear, it was simply lovely and really looked neat and well kept.

All in all a great couple of hours on the beach.

We walked back to the car through the Pine Trees and spotted Goldcrests, Coal Tit's, Long Tailed Tit's and a Green Woodpecker.

Good report Mick, did some ringing there many years ago! It's a top migrant spot, well done on the Bonxie, not an easy tick this far South. Lets hope Gib point has some good birds on Saturday!!

What a cute picture Craig, you done really well, these birds need looking after. I rescued a Manx Shearwater a few years back as well.

Ron can't wait till Saturday, are we doing some sea watching.