• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What colour is the Moon?

Guest peter shah

Guest peter shah

Its not perfect and not done with ideal kit for the job! I had to use my deep sky kit with its fast opics and mono camera. Im having problems getting a good alignment of the separate RGB and L frames because of the sub second exposures, battling with the atmosphere none of the colour channels line up perfectly, im still trying to find something that will align using a complex geometric correction. So Im still working on this one but here is what i have for now....will give it another go if i can find a good bit of software that will help me out.

cheers thanks for looking

Peter

http://www.astropix.co.uk/ps/pages/a0957.htm

Edited by peter shah

Good to see you again Peter - I allways look forward to your visits - but did you forget to include the link in your post? lol :)

Guest peter shah

Good to see you again Peter - I allways look forward to your visits - but did you forget to include the link in your post? lol :)

Nah you were too quick ...like lightning! i had trouble inserting the image must have seen my post as i was fixing the problem ;)

Guest peter shah

Thanks everyone, I still want to work on this one and iron out the bugs. Craig you can have the full res file if you want it for a wallpaper but i would like to finish it first, i have some other plans for it that you dont normally see in lunar images ;) plus the fact i want to get the alinment of these frames sorted

Fantastic image Peter.

I'm such a noob when it comes to imaging. I think it looks great as is!

I just remembered what this reminded me of, my attempted mosaic had similar colour, I didn't saturate it though and it was just with a 400d on a 200p dob dragging it round the moon http://zoom.it/w6lh

Your's has a lot stronger colours in it which I love :D

Edited by Eddy

Guest peter shah

Thanks for the comments....im still trying to figure a way of sorting these frames out...ill probably end up scrapping it and trying again with a OSC camera..

I just remembered what this reminded me of, my attempted mosaic had similar colour, I didn't saturate it though and it was just with a 400d on a 200p dob dragging it round the moon http://zoom.it/w6lh

Your's has a lot stronger colours in it which I love :D

That looks like a lot ot of hard work eddy....dare i say youve missed a bit! :P

Very nice Peter.

Is this made from stacked full frames or mosaic of stacked frames?

Oh and everyone knows the Moon should be yellow because its made of cheese!!!!

Edited by andyboy1970

Guest peter shah

Pretty much the same Pat, easier with the single shot as you dont get a separation of the channels due to the atmosphere

Nah andy mosaics are just too much work, all full frames, heavily cropped in with my massive fov

Hi Pete very nice if I shot avi's in rgb would I pull color out this way ?

Pat

Very nice Peter.

Is this made from stacked full frames or mosaic of stacked frames?

Oh and everyone knows the Moon should be yellow because its made of cheese!!!!

Guest peter shah

Ive just managed to get it sorted enough for me to be happier with it.....i used registax wich got ithe frames much closer then manually distoring each frame in photoshop to get them to match, loads closer now.....i think next time ill put a DSLR on the end of the scope and take away the pain! I will be doing a little more for this shot the next clear night just to add something a bit extra ;)

Looking good.

One advantage of Mosaics is you can control the brightness of those pesky ray craters.

Love the colour.

• 3 months later...
Guest recceranger

Pete,

How on Earth (or should I say Luna!) did you do it?  I,m some what wet behind the ears at this imaging bit.

FAB