• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A POD is Born

Magellan Boy

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magellan Boy

• red dwalf

• catman161

• RonC

At last...some progress on my POD! New piccies on Page 1 of this topic...

Edited by Magellan Boy

Cheers Kim. Yes I reckon one more day of construction should see the beast completed.

Looks great Mike, couldn't work out why there was a POD in the photo's but you were waiting for one?? It's clear now! :)  keep up the photo-shoot!

Cheers

Ron

Well time is all relative you know! Will keep up the photo shoot, cheers Ron

Mike

• 1 month later...

My POD was finally built on the last day in June! Here are the piccies...

(there are plenty of pics showing the earlier stages of construction on page 1 of the post too)

30th June 2013

The walls have been assembled including the all important door and one bay. These sit on the cushion vinyl flooring for what (I hope) will become a good seal.

BelperPOD_25.jpg

The primary dome has been attached...

BelperPOD_26.jpg

Anorther view of the primary dome...

BelperPOD_27.jpg

The primary dome is secured to the walls by three brackets like this one. These prevent the primary dome from being lifted off the walls and allow it to ride around on top of the walls.

BelperPOD_28.jpg

Side view of one of the brackets. These use the same skate wheels that are on top of the walls. Spacers have been measured, cut and added to the axles of each bracket to ensure that the wheels are in the correct position.

BelperPOD_29.jpg

The secondary dome has been added...

BelperPOD_30.jpg

The secondary dome in the open (observing) position...

BelperPOD_31.jpg

Somewhat providentially this parhelion appeared over Belper when we had finished building the POD!

BelperPOD_32.jpg

...and here is the progress I've made in...

July 2013

A view of the POD from my back bedroom! I've added black foam rubber seals to where the primary and secondary domes come together below the pivot. I smeared some Lexel sealant on top of these seals (although not on the mating surfaces!) to help waterproof them. Some of the rubber L-gasket that was left over from the primary dome has been added over these areas to form a gutter to take rainwater away from the pivot region - all as per the SkyShed POD assembly DVD! I've also sealed all around the base of the POD walls both inside the observatory and out to prevent water getting in under the walls.

BelperPOD_33.jpg

I've cut away the vinyl flooring back to the base of the POD walls to expose the decking. This will improve drainage. The flooring was only for the inside anyway and to provide what I hope will be a good seal for the base of the POD walls.

BelperPOD_34.jpg

I've cut away the vinyl flooring from the 'hatch' over the pier foundation. Not strictly neccessary but thinking it might be a good idea I've added a 5mm thick neoprene rubber gasket over the top of the pier foundation. This should provide a snug and smooth base for the pier, and a barrier to any damp or residual vibration.

BelperPOD_35.jpg

The SkyShed pier is bolted into place. Note that the walls of the POD have been secured to the decking using coach screws (M12 for the main walls and M10 for the bay - to fit the holes supplied in the POD). I found M12 too big for the bay holes so used M10. Pilot hole sizes were 2mm smaller diameter than the coach screws (i.e. a 10mm bit for the M12 and an 8mm bit for the M10). I couldn't use all the anchor points because some were over gaps in the decking planks - but most are used and these will be plenty. Note that the coach screws were inserted before any sealant was added around the base.

BelperPOD_36.jpg

The plywood cover is put back over the pier hole. I've also cut the piece of vinyl flooring I removed to match the shape of the cover.

BelperPOD_37.jpg

The flooring is complete...

BelperPOD_38.jpg

It looks the business

I bet you can't wait for 1st Light

I keep looking at these and the Pulsar domes

but........

Steve

Fantastic job! Only makes me want one at my new place even more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That looks great, what do your neighbours think of it out of interest?

Cheers

Ron

Thanks everyone! Yes I can't wait to get the scope installed and have first light!!

Regarding the neighbours - before I went ahead and ordered the POD I showed a Photoshop mock up of what the POD would look like in my garden to the lady next door. She was OK with it then and even said that they would have to come and have a look through it when it was complete. In the months following it became a topic of 'over the fence' conversation when I saw her, and she often asked about progress and was even positive a week or two after it was finally built. Then all of a sudden she admitted that they didn't like it - " we think it looks horrible" - and has asked for a new fence to be put up to hide it. As you can see in some of the pictures the existing fence is just a short picket one and my garden is higher than my neighbour's on that side. So I've now ordered a tall featherboard fence. This is probably a blessing in disguise as it will not only obscure the POD (mostly) from her view but also block the light spill from the patio doors at the back of my neighbour's house, and provide lots more privacy for both households.

Anyway here are a couple more pics of the progress...

The Altair pier adapter for my NEQ6 mount has been added. I've taken the azimuth bolt from the NEQ6 tripod and fitted it to the adapter.

BelperPOD_39.jpg

Levelling the top of the pier...

BelperPOD_40.jpg

The NEQ6 Pro mount is fitted. Interestingly I found that the bubble in the mount itself was not showing level once the mount was in place. After reading around various forums I gather that the bubble in the mount is not to be trusted anyway so I'll go with the levelling I did of the pier and ignore the bubble in the mount.

BelperPOD_41.jpg

Looking good Mike, neighbour's eh!!! Glad you're sorted! :)

(I've just been told I can't have one, my RORO shed will be staying!!) :lol:  :lol:

Thanks Ron. I was originally thinking of a RORO but decided I didn't have the room!

• 2 weeks later...

I've replaced the existing clamp on my NEQ6 Pro mount with an after market universal clamp from Altair Astro:

BelperPOD_42.jpg

looking very nice, i like those universal clamps, alot better than the standard offering from skywatcher

Just caught up with your updates to your pod Mike.

Looks superb, a really professional job. Well done !

Thanks Rob, ...and Rob!

I've now added a flat-pack desk to my POD bay. It fits really well and has head room to carry my laptop, a drawer, and room underneath for storage...

BelperPOD_43.jpg

Guest dmahon

Looks good.

Isn't that cutout in the top plate intended to make it more comfortable to polar align? I notice you don't have it fixed due south.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip dmahon, I hadn't realised that was the purpose of the cutout! I shall re-configure...

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had 13A mains power laid on to my POD. A switched spur from the RCD protected house ring main feeds an armoured cable out to the observatory where it terminates in a double socket. I got a qualified electrician to do the installation, testing and certification.

BelperPOD_44.jpg

I've also bought this power supply from Maplins to power my mount, dew heaters and cameras...

BelperPOD_45.jpg