• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A POD is Born

Magellan Boy

looks good but i always found i need more than one double socket, but it`ll be easy to run another one if you need it if your using a radial circuit

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magellan Boy

• red dwalf

• catman161

• RonC

Thanks Rob. I've got a 4 way surge protected extension lead coming off one of the sockets - enough to run a laptop and my 12v PSU etc. I hope to power all the 12v systems off the PSU. The other socket will power a small heater or dehumidifier for frost protection and moisture control. But as you say I can always add another socket if needs be.

Meanwhile I finally got the 10" Meade LX200 ACF installed today!

BelperPOD_46.jpg

BelperPOD_47.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've piggybacked an ST-80 on the LX200 using the ADM mini dovetail system and rings. I intend to use this popular little refractor as a wide field scope and guide scope. I had to add the supplied 45 degree diagonal (not shown) to reach focus though!

BelperPOD_48.jpg

Here I've added a Kendrick premium dew heater band around the end of my LX200...

BelperPOD_49.jpg

..and here's a Kendrick dew cap. I've cut out a section to fit over the Losmandy dovetail the LX200 sits on and also for the mini dovetail round the other side. The heater is now snugly enclosed inside the cap.

BelperPOD_50.jpg

The ST-80 gets its own dew heater...

BelperPOD_51.jpg

The heaters are supplied with generous lengths of cable. No unplugging or snagging here...

BelperPOD_52.jpg

I chose a Kendrick Digifire 7 to supply and control the heaters. This has 2 spare heater sockets left and a couple of 12v fixed ones round the back too. It looks precarious but I used the supplied sticky back velcro to fix it to the base plate of the pier.

BelperPOD_53.jpg