• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rob`s Obsy build

red dwalf

I was lucky find a different colour to white mines like a magnolia colour.like say I only did it cos couldn't be bothered paint it and help it last.your shed lot bigger than mine I wish I'd gone bigger too.as for door I think it be spot on.I used turn buckles to fasten down roof.expecting some winds coming so make sure it's fastened :-) looking forward seeing it finished.

• 2 weeks later...

update,

managed to get on side of the front finished including window fitting,

it`s taking so long with only one day off from work a week !

frontwindow2.jpg

frontwindow1.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

• 3 weeks later...

Todays update :-

yesterday managed to finished all the cladding except for one small piece top right of the door which will cover the rollers, typical one piece short.

and today after much head scratching and putting off, i`ve managed to build a front door ! which i`m very pleased with as i`ve never done anything like it before and took alot of thinking about, but finally it`s all but water tight.

final stage is the side runners for the roof to roll onto which again is proving a little taxing on the gray matter, i want it to roll of no more than 8` and they of course need to be level, so i`m thinking of some wooden pillers with a brace which goes across that the runners can be supported by.

anyway here are some pictures of the progress and my door which i`m most proud of, all glued and screwed together.

will post some images later as i seem to be having trouble posting them at the moment, site just freezes up when i click on image.

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/9363/cladding2.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/9771/cladding1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/2571/door2b.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/8097/door1we.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

• 3 weeks later...

It is looking really impressive. You must be getting excited about the prospect of using it instead of building it.

That is looking cracking Rob. Really nice. Do I remember you saying it would have a warm room?

Edited by catman161

Looking good there Rob - we'll have to come round and christen it for you :)

What its got a toilet as well!!  :D  :lol:

Looking really good now.

toilets outside, although i do have a caravan portapotty so now you`ve got me thinking,

there will be a warm room although i will give it some use first before putting up the dividing wall just to make sure that everything is in the right place and is functional.

when it`s up and running your more than welcome to come and have a go.

need some advice on electrics also so if theres anyone who knows what they are doing please give me a shout, i know alittle but what i have in mind might not be the correct way of doing things, infact i`m fairly certain it isn`t but on paper it should work but not certain if it would be 100% safe.

This is excellent Rob, wish I had a garden big enough to do the same.

Just make sure you deface or fit blind head bolts to the door hinges.

My next door neighbour lost three mountain bikes once because someone removed the screws to the three hinges.

Nobody heard anything as its a really quite and quick way to break in.

Paul

Edited by PaulG

I agree, go down Wilko's and get some mushroom head coach bolts. Drill through the hinge and frame and bolt at the back. You want M8 at least.

I had to put external hinges on my door due to the reclaimed timber I had used, I was hoping for internal but that was out.

So I coach bolted the hinges to the door and frame.

Then I drilled through the door frame on the hinge side and put bolts through that side and drilled recesses into the door itself so when the door closes these bolts actually go into the door. This is so that if anyone drives the pins out of the hinges to try to lift the door out, the door is still held in place and can only be got out with a very long crow bar and alot of noise.

to tell you the truth i wish i had put on some proper door hinges now, i`ve got some nice chunky ones in the garage and having just screwed the t hinges on to the door and frame, the security aspect has been bothering me, the trouble was that the timber door frames are 4 inches think and another half inch of cladding and not having done anything like this before i wasn`t sure of what kind of security bolts or screws are available, i did look on the toolstaion website but it`s hard to see exactly what they are like from a brochure photo.

i was thinking of having a basic garage/shed alarm put in. 

also thought about fitting a couple of these into the door frame.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safety+Security/Locks/Rack+Bolt+60mm+Kit/d200/sd2611/p93001

Edited by red dwalf

You need something on the hinge side Rob tobstop anyone lifting the door out if they cut or knock out the hinge pins. 3 or 4 coach bolts like I described workba treat and are cheaper and easier to fit.

As for alarms make sure whatever you get has a pir detector. I know of 2 people who have just fitted door contactsbut the theifs cut through the wall with a battery saw and no one was the wiser. Take a look at the friedland sa1 kits, solar powered main unit which you can add all sorts to.

cheers Phil, pir detector alarm was what i was looking at theres on on flee bay at a very reasonable cost, cheaper than the contact ones screwfix sell

Edited by red dwalf

Guest Kheldar
cheers Phil, pir detector alarm was what i was looking at theres on on flee bay at a very reasonable cost, cheaper than the contact ones screwfix sell

Thought you already had the ideal saftey measure in place Rob? (Caveat: random Google image, but you know what I mean :))

angrychicken.jpg

Edited by Kheldar

the big one might peck you alittle, but if you had no food they would`nt come near you,

maybe a goose is in order, they can be good guard dogs and you can use them at xmas