• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rob`s Obsy build

red dwalf

door locks fitted, brenton heavy duty bolt lock, only used M6 coach bolts, these seemed to fit the brenton lock well and they are 6" long so went stright through the frame and bolted onto the back. also bought some of these.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ironmongery/Hinges/Door%20Hinge%20Bolts/d170/sd2270/p30917

thanks for the advice Phil, very cheap and a doddle to fit, and some of these also for the lock side also,

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safety+Security/Locks/Rack+Bolt+60mm+Kit/d200/sd2611/p93001

these are alittle trickier to fit, especially when i fitted the bolt to the door i lined it up to the frame to find a big nail exactly where i wanted to drill the hole for the recess 

Rob

The rack bolt keys are standard common keys and fit all other rack bolts on the planet.

This add on uses a small cylinder key.

http://www.eurofasteners.co.uk/yale-locks-720811705174-8k117-door-bolt-brasslux-cylinder.html

A bit pricey but at least you cant buy a key from Wilko's knowing it will fit.

Paul

Forgot to add.....you will need to fit security screws to secure it to the door.

Edited by PaulG

managed to get some more details done regarding the door security over the last couple of days, i was getting concerned about not having enough deterants on the hinges so i have replaced some of the screws with mushroom headed bolts that now bolt all the way through the frame and door so at least no one can just unscrew the hinges and remove the door.
also fitted some frame bolts to stop the door being lifted if the hinges were broken, also a heavy duty brenton bolt fitted.
also thinking of getting a cheapish pir detector alarm for the inside.
1005472v.jpg

1005471t.jpg

1005469e.jpg

1005474c.jpg

1005473h.jpg

Rob dont skimp on the alarm, its worth protecting your kit with something decent, cheapish alarms go wrong. All I keep in mine is the mount, no gear or scope but I still have it protected with 3 alarms I wont go into details on here for obvious reasons but I can recommend some next meet

i will certainly check on the house insurance, fairly sure i asked a few years ago when i started going to starpartys and if the gear came to no more than £2000 i was covered, but will certainly check to make sure, was hoping to start moving some of the gear in today, but it`s so cold and i`m on nights tonight. looked like a good night last night, early on anyway

• 3 weeks later...

another update on the build, after finally getting a few hours using the obsy i was spured on to do something about the electricity supply, so having bent a guys ear at work we came up with a plan, as long as i don`t go over the 13 amps he surgested i should be ok, will let the wife try it first once it`s connected to the mains supply.

anyway he surgested a radial circuit would be ok supplied from the garage elecrics which has a RCD from the house protecting the curcuit.

i`ve managed to get the cable and power points into the obsy today.

here`s a few pictures.

img0040qe.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

This one in the middle will be attached to the pier when it`s done, was a swine to get the cable threaded under the floorboards,

TOP TIP :- try to put cables in before you put floorboards down.

img0043pu.jpg

this is the plug i`m thinking of fitting to the outside of the obsy, it`s 240v 16 amp ip 44.

then an extension cable from the garage will plug into it.

img0044im.jpg

power is now connected to the obsy, works a treat and very simple setup.

plugs into the garage mains,

plugtogaragemains.jpg

then the cable goes to the obsy via another plug and outside industrial socket

cabletoobsy.jpg

then simply plugs into this industrial ip44 socket, seems to work a treat, i`ve fired up the mount, lights, and laptop and fingers crossed all working fine.

plugintoobsy.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

Nice one Rob. Looking good. Do you not fancy getting some cable that you can bury and then all you do is leave it plugged in to the ip44 socket and you only have to remember to flick the switch in the garage on you way to the obsy then -no messing laying cables out or tripping up potentially that way.

i did indeed think about burying the cables, first thought about armoured cable which i could just dig a trench and cover over but it`s not very flexiable, costs alot, and is heavy. 

then thought about putting some trunking underground and running the cable through it, but the method i`ve used seems to give me the best flexabilty, the cable is 16amp arctic grade cable so it tough.

but having thought about all my opyions it really isn`t a problem to pull out the plug, roll it up and throw it in the garage at the end of the night.

Edited by red dwalf

Thats similar to what I do Rob when I want mains down there. Most of the time my obs is 12v solar but if I want to run something big down there or boost charge stuff I run a lead from our pond pump socket across the back lawn. Its no bother to tidy away at the end of a session but it usually ends up set out for days or until Fliss remarks about it :D

certainly the cheapest way to get power to the obsy, it coast £16.50 for a 14m 16amp ip44 arctic cable from toolstation, very reasonable, screwfix was £10 dearer for the same thing, and £5.20 for the ip44 socket, can`t complain about that. 

• 3 months later...

not been posting many updates for a while as i`ve been happily using the obsy, but have made some headway on the pier build, 

firstly an 8" waste pipe, kindly donated to the cause by Glider, cheers matey,

1005572o.th.jpg

my neighbour made up a threaded bolt which is put into the top of the pier and concreted in with an inch or so sticking out of the top to fasten on the bottom plate.

1005573j.th.jpg

next is the bottom plate which still needs a few holes drilling, but you get the idea.

1005575m.th.jpg

then the top plate which i have drilled, although i haven`t drilled the center hole exactly in the middle which has cheesed me off, but it does need drilling out to take the heq5 pro mount anyway, will be tricky but i`m sure i can center the hole up.

1005576b.th.jpg

and finally the heq5 puck which bolts onto the top plate very firmly indeed.

1005574n.th.jpg

still plenty to do but i thought i`d update you on the progress.

Edited by red dwalf

now almost finished apart from painting,

1005582b.jpg

1005581l.jpg

1005578lu.jpg

1005577d.jpg

1005584h.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

Very beefy mate, looking good. It's very satisfying drilling and bashing steel and stuff doing self build intit? :)

it`s taken a lot of thinking about Phil i must say, it didn`t help by me drilling the center hole not perfectly in the center, so wen`t to the neighbours and borrowed his pillar drill which made life a lot easier.

All very solid now though, plate bolts want turning round and will proberly make it lower but didn`t want to make it too low so i couldn`t get my hand in to bolt the mount from the bottom of the top plate.