• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Skies are clear

catman161

Skies are clear above my house in city centre Leicester (as clear as can be expected with all the light around!) I'm gonna go have a little peek and see what I can see.

The other half is away all week in stoke for the next 4 weeks-only back at weekends so I get to do as much gazing as I like. I think she is regretting buying me the celestron skymasters for christmas!

Only thing is I can't really get my bearings even using the planisphere. I think I am looking at a certain constellation and then think I can't be because I can't see other ones that are supposed to be right next to it.

I need to get to a meet with you guys so you can show me what I am doing wrong. Is still nice to look though. Happy gazing to anyone else having a go.

Even from a city centre you should see the main constellations. Start of at Ursa Major and find the North Star this way by drawing a line out of Dubhe and Merek.

Then use your planisphere and radiate out from the North Star finding them as you go.

I find the monthly sky charts/map in astronomy now a great help ! also great bedtime reading, does the other half's head in when I'm sat up til midnight reading. lol

Just met Felix - very nice chap - hopefully he's feeling a little better orientated with the planisphere now. We had a look at the moon, Jupiter, Plieades, M42, one of the pan handle doubles (forget the name), and a tiny visual on M31. All in binocs - my Liddl 10x50's and Felix's Celestron 15x70's. I think my enthusiasm has motivated him even more, and his missus may be coming home to a 200P dob at the w/e lol :)

Thanks for having me over Kim. Pleasure to meet you. Thanks for helping me with planisphere and orientations myself better with the major constellations.

I have just been looking at the 200p dob! Also setup stellarium better now.

Thanks again. Man im so gonna click on "buy" in a second if I don't stop looking at this scope!!

:)

Kim predicted correctly-I have just bought the Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian :) should arrive early next week!

Good choice of scope, you will not be disapointed - let the modifications begin........ ;)

Thanks guys :o). I believe I may have just dug a bottomless pit down which money will seem to disappear!

I suspect you may have bought your scope just in time before the "Brian Cox effect" kicks in, after the next Stargazing live event.

It took months in some cases to get stuff after that last year and even the importers ran out of stock.

Congrats on your new scope, it's a good scope and you won't be disappointed.

If you have a few quid left over, this Star Atlas is well worth the money, it would be a major step up from a planisphere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325696192&sr=1-1

Speaking of the Brian cox effect I also bought a ticket to the stargazing live event being held at the Leicester space centre today too. Thanks for the heads up about the star atlas I will check it out.

You'll have to put the wedding back for a year now - you have eyepieces to buy - much more important lol

Congrats on the 200P Felix :)

Ha ha ha! I think I might be castrated if I suggested that Kim! However I have been thinking about those lovely tele vues you showed me the other night! Reality check though I am most prob gonna be usin the suplied eye pieces until after wedding and honeymoon!Ce'st la vie :) I'm just happy to get a scope