• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron c11

Guest sapperslappy

Guest sapperslappy

Im looking at getting a telescope, but not sure what to get, ive read great things about the c11 but am not sure thats what I need. I want to see as much as I can in best detail possible, dont we all? I especially want to see the sun jupiter, is this the right scope? & if so what lens?

Hi Brad - the C11 is a fabulous scope - massive aperture and very long focal length - ideal for solar system detail. And with a reducer makes a great dso scope too. You'll need a very stable load bearing eq mount for it - likely the NEQ6 Pro. It's quite a popular combination. Or the appropriate CGEM from Celestron.

I use the 925 which is a tad smaller but still a teriffic scope - the optics are very good - not much to pick between it and the equivalent Meade.

If I was going to upgrade I'd go for the C11 - but then I'd have to upgrade my dob to at least 16" lol. Hope that helps :)

Wow I would love an Edge C11 but IMO you need a permanent set up for that beast. I saw one at Kelling just gone and it's an awesome scope but you need big muscles if you need to take it apart all the time. Also take in to account with all CATS the cool down time, it's pretty big.

Guest sapperslappy

Thanks craig, ive looked at the stars with the naked eye too long, I want to see the red spot roar, its just not the same watching a video...

Guest Tweedledum

Yup, fork mounted 80lb lump just aint sexy when you are lifting onto tripod when you have just noticed a doggy mine :lol:

Edited by Tweedledum

That was setup just behing my tent, if it fell on me in the night I was a goner for sure, not that the wind was going to ever blow it over though!

i remember that scope, a real beaut, but one thing that did pee him off after having spent all that money is it needed another counter weight when he added the imaging scope to it, the set up only comes with one weight.

an extra weight was just short of £100 he told me.

the edge scopes also have grills in the rear to help cool down times, not sure how well they work though.

Guest sapperslappy

Lol im in texas, not sure how close you are to here but id be more then happy to let you check it out when I get it. Im really excited about it, just have to save a little more money, just had a daughter in sept.

Hi Brad, welcome to EMS.

That scope was just next to me, but he didn't get a lot of observing in as it is a real dew magnet and as he had only just bought it, didn't have any heaters for it.

You probably don't suffer too much dew in Dallas!

Congrats on the new addition to your family, she may need steps to reach the eyepiece though. :D

Didn't notice your location Brad - Unfortunately I'm nowhere near you but great to have you on board with EMS - you've just made us an International forum lol :)

We did go to Dallas on the 22nd November in '96 for all the annual Kennedy meetings down at Dealey Plaza. My missus is into all the conspiracy stuff and we met one or two eye witnesses - very interesting trip that was :)

Guest sapperslappy

I dont know about conspiracy or anything, but being a former active duty marine and a distance shooter, shoot 800 meters on a regular basis, I know that a guy that barely qualified on the rifle range, shooting a crappy rifle, using a two dollar scope, can not pull off two out of three shots at a moving target wifh one of those being a head shot. Then isnt it funny that jack ruby shoots him before he can even be questioned about the murder? Not buying it

Hi Brad, not sure I know whereabouts in the East Midlands Dallas is ;)

I had the XLT C11 for 6 years and its a great scope.

Initially I used it with the CGE mount and it wasnt permanently based. It took approx 1/2 hour to set up fully in portable mode and required some level of fitness to hump it all about, also a decent amount of boot space if you intend to have it mobile.

I eventually installed it permanently in an observatory where it performed superbly for visual and was really good at planetary imaging.

ON DSOs its something else, I will always remember viewing the veil unfiltered for the 1st time through that scope, great. Globulars like M13 are spectacular. Theres plenty of apeture for the really faint stuff as well. If you have the patience and a good bank balancethen they can be exceptional deep sky imagers but take alot of work.

Now the down side :) Its big and quite heavy, theres a handle on the mirror cell and its there for a reason you need it to shift the scope about. For serious planetary imaging it takes at least an hour to cool properly so if its in an obs that doesnt matter but if your portable then add another 1/2 hour after set up before you can see the red spot roar in decent detail.

If you get into imaging, which you will :) then they can be quirky especially with focus shift during cooling over the imaging session. I once did an image of M1 over 3 hours and the focus shifted with temperature drop throughout the session so I had to continuosly refocus. Yes there are temperature compensating focusers which can take that into account but thats more money and set up time.

I sold my C11 3 years ago and now have a 5" Apo, not the same light gathering power but its easier to set up, doesnt wreck my back when shifting it, takes little time to cool and is a well behaved imager. Oh and I know of 3 other ex C11 owners who have done exactly the same.

This isnt a reflection on the C11 more on big scopes particularly the bigger scts, they take alot more work and grab and go they surely arent.

phil

Guest sapperslappy

Yeah I didnt pay a whole lot of attention when I posted as to where I was posting to, just wanted to be sure I was making the right decision in scopes before I started eye balling the wrong thing. As far as weight and size goes, im a pretty big guy, 6'1 at 235lbs, pretty fit too except for this smoking habbit im trying to kick. So set up isnt going to break me down or anything, what does concern me is Dallas. You and others keep mentioning cool down times, and well its hotter then two foxes getting down in a forest fire here, but I want a scope, that with a bit of time and money, will let me view our solar system pretty good and be around long enough to share with and teach my daughter. No one showed me such things when I was growing up, I just had to stumble across the wons

Guest sapperslappy

Wonders of the universe myself so im kinda getting a late start. I appologize for posting on what im guessing is your local post, theres been a few remarks about me being from dallas, but like I said im new to the field, both scopes and forums, but im learning fast...

Brad, it's not an issue where you are from, we try to help out anybody! :) The remarks about you being from Dallas are, in my opion, British humor and sarcasim, just us Brits being daft!

Keep posting your questions and we will do our best to answer them!

As an extra thought, Dallas to Nottingham, England is 4682.6 miles, so I doubt I will be seeing you at any of our meets soon - lol.