• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bird watching at Attenborough NR 19.10.2012

Doc

After 5 hours of sleep following my night shift I decided some fresh air was in order, so I packed my scope and bins and headed off to Attenborough Nature Reserve.

As I walked into the Tower Hide, a well known birder who I've spoken to before told me a Bittern had just landed in the reed beds just to the right of the Tower Hide. I have seen this striking birds a few times now, but it was a long time ago so decided today is the day to see it again.

While waiting I counted seven Common Snipes, a medium sized wading bird with short legs and long straight bills, these had very striking markings that really stood out. All these Snipes wwre on a island known locally as Snipe Island.

Also noted was a Kingfisher perched on one of the posts near the reedbed, a small unmistakable bright blue and orange bird it was just awesome to watch. I could tell by it's orange and black bill that this Kingfisher was a female bird. it stayed on the perch for about 2 minutes.

I had been sitting in the tower Hide for 1 hour and 55 minutes when suddenly the Bittern took flight between two reed beds, I could make out the buffy-brown plumage covered with dark streaks, my view lasted perhaps 5 seconds but it was well worth the wait.

I left a very happy birder.

Doc

Nice one Mick - glad you managed to snag what you were after!

Sounds like a nice relaxing afternoon.

Sounds a good day mate! I saw 3 Jays on the way to work this morning, they must be moving inland from the coast. Keep your eyes open! Well done on the Bittern, you never see it very well the second time though (once bitten, twice shy!!) haha :D

Cheers

Ron

Cheers Darren.

I see you have put a Messier count in your sig. ;)

Yes, thanks to you it has increased some what, something to work on now, besides, I was starting to loose track!

Thanks for all your help again at EMS1. :)

Edited by Daz Type-R

Was watching the jays yesterday now we have more than 1/2" of water in the meadows we also have some more wildfowl.Why they keep the levels low I'm not sure as we have had no increase in waders since they started doing this 3 years ago