• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

200p OTA Dust cover holes

After a fruitless forum search, and as i don't have an owner's manual, can any SW Dob/OTA owners shed any light (pun intended) as to what the purpose is of the two holes (with covers) in my OTA's dust cover are?

Is it something to do with limiting the aperture? (can't think why?)

Ta!

Edit - Mods, would this be better in the beginner's section?

There should only be one hole, the other bit is to put the cap on from the other hole, it's for limiting aperture for moon viewing and/or solar viewing

Ahhh, I see - thats clever!

Doh! and your right - there is only one hole!

Incidentally, should I have a manual? If so, I'll see if I can download one from their website, as I've stupidly thrown all contact details of the previous owner in the bin! Double Doh! :facepalm:

I have a manual but it explains next to nothing, flicked through it when I got my scope, never used it since, in fact, not even sure where it is.

Just for the sake of pointing out the obvious.... If you decide to view the sun, ONLY do so WITH A SUITABLE AND SAFE SOLAR FILM. Limiting the apature on it's own will not make it safe for viewing the sun. Using the limited apature does help with lunar observations, I have done so with mine, and also with solar imaging it helped me to get a bit better contrast. As I say though, only with a suitable solar film in addition to the restricted apature.

Very good point Mike - if you look at the sun in a scope without adequate filters - your eye wil be fried instantly and irreversibly. Allways be sure you have proper filter equipment to view the sun. Also - ensure the entire aperture is fully blocked off and the finder scope is well covered or removed totally so it can't be used accidentally. :)

I only use them after a nights observing.

What I do is put the cap on with the small cap removed to allow the dew/moisture to clear after a night observing, it helps limit the amount of dust etc. entering the scope.

Yep, thanks for the link, Martyn.

I think I downloaded that pdf a while back. I agree with everyone's comments that it's not the most comprehensive manual I've ever read - I guess I just thought there might be something else included in the box i was missing.