• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

new dark site and change of direction ?

cosmic dave

Hi guys, I'm wondering what your thoughts are to looking for a new dark site in the middle of the county ? (I was thinking horncastle area) this would make thing easier for Ron and is only a few miles further for me and Paul, don't know the distance for Boston sorry mark but I can't see it being much different, the advantages are getting away from the gib point floodlights and being in a more central area hopefully leading to more members, the dark sky maps seem to suggest its a little darker there to.

Any thoughts ?

I've found a camp site just of the A17 about 4 miles West of me towards Newark, any good?

I'll keep my eye's open for other sites nearer to the ELAC members too!

Been checking the dark sky maps, somewhere around Woodhall Spa is the darkest in the county except for the coast line??

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

Thanks Martyn, your not sticking your nose in :) if we find a darker site then alls well..

Are we looking for somewhere with facilities or just a dark site ?

If we are looking for the ideal site then facilities would be great. Does anyone know what's at snipe dales ?

Its also a reserve like Gib Point, might be worth a look if someone has time??

I'm happy to give it a look ron,

It's a big reserve, if you Google it, it mentions 2 car parks? It all depends on whether they look the gates at night?

Maybe a phone call before a visit?

Ron

It's a big reserve, if you Google it, it mentions 2 car parks? It all depends on whether they look the gates at night?

Maybe a phone call before a visit?

Ron

Good idea :) will do..

Sorry that i have missed most of this conversation but i have checked in from time to time. I am willing to go with someone to this site on a clear night at short notice to check it out for suitability as it is actually closer than Gib Point and on readilly available light pollution maps shows very dark skies. I have visited before a few years ago but as we all know, things change so it would be worth a trip out to look first before we decide to make any sort of commitment.

Ok as long as everyone is happy with this what I'm going to do is drop the east from the clubs name from next feb, we are advertised in the astro mags under that name, we now have a few things to talk about, I will fill you all in on details next meeting.

Is that Ok guys ?

Dave, do you think it's possible to change the name to : Lincs Stargazing Club ? I think Lincs Astro Club = LAC (Lack?), what do others think?

Dave, do you think it's possible to change the name to : Lincs Stargazing Club ? I think Lincs Astro Club = LAC (Lack?), what do others think?

I think that this is something for us all to talk about at our next meeting on Saturday.

Also i took the family to Snipedales today for a nice walk and a bit of a look around to see if the site would be suitable. As Paul had said earlier, the site does have some trees around and we would lose about 40%or possibly more of the observable sky. I have no doubt that the site gets lovely and dark as it is in the middle of nowhere, but the trees would limit our observing so my opinion is that the site would not be suitable. I checked both the Country Park and the nature reserves car parks. If there were somewhere else nearby then it would be ideal but i do not know of anywhere.

Not sure what we should do Ron ???

I think we should discuss next Saturday, either at Gib Point or in the Pub! (Not sure what the weather forecast is like yet!) Hope that's OK with everyone??

Cheers

Ron

That's only 2 words! Thinking of dropping 'Club'?

How about 'The Yellowbelly Star club'?? :lol: :lol:

Edited by Ron Clarke

That's only 2 words! Thinking of dropping 'Club'?

How about 'The Yellowbelly Star club'?? :lol: :lol:

Just thinking out loud really,

Looking at the weather forecast for Saturday, I should say we will have more time for discussion than starwatching!! So, thinking caps on everybody and lets sort out the name and a dark site if we can while we are all together!??

Ron