• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Why QHY5?

RonC

I know this is the favourite guiding camera, but what are the alternatives and are they as good??

QH5 and the like are very light sensitive so pick up more stars.

I use a bog standard SPC 800 web cam.

OK I sometimes have to search for a decent star to guide by but it works just as well and I get to use it for planetary work as well.

It also cost a hell of a lot less.

biggish sensor

relativity cheap

light

longer exposure (without modding)

Ascom drivers now works(well it does here)

can be used as monochrome planetary /solar imager (don't get colour for guider)

onboard ST4 connection

Hi Ron.

Just plug it in as normal and use PHD to guide with.

Open PHD click on camera icon scroll down the list until you get to Windows WDM-style webcam camera.

Click on that and it will reconise the SPC 900.

Click on the telescope icon and then click ok to get the Ascom running.

Click on the Arrow icon and away you go.

Ron.

I use EQMOD to run my mount.

You will need to upload all the bits and bobs to use it but it will mean you can operate your entire set up from your computer.

You can run a lead from the computer to the handset but I bought a shoestring box of tricks which means I do away with the hand set and plug straight into the mount.

with the 5 you connect via usb to a computer and direct to mount using the ST4 port on the 5 and the autoguider port on the mount

don't need the shoestring with the 5

Ron you go on SGL so you have no problems.

If you get stuck just as a guy called Chris Hilto on there. He wrote the EQMOD programme and will sort you out in no time.

Thats very true Steve but for us poor old sods with EQ5's we have to go down the shoestring route. :lol:

Also - you can drive the mount with Stellarium or CdC using a serial cable from the handset and a serial/usb adaptor to the PC/laptop :)

Ron - have a look at Gliders tutorial on "Autoguiding (parts 1,2, & 3)" - Tells you all about what you need (software and cabling) and how to hook it up - it's generic and excellent. I think he put them in the imaging section - if not take a stroll over to the Shed and download them. :)

Just copied the 'Guiding' tutorial, will print it out tomorrow, thanks Kim.

There's loads of stuff on SGL (most of it problems!) what have I started??

Picked up a QHY5L-II for £65 when Dr Q was looking for testers. I've seen SPC900 sell for more

I get long exposure and ST4 guide port and ASCOM compatible built in. Well worth it Ron. Go for it ;)

Agreed Tom, will start looking, there's also a Meade DSI on Ebay I'm watching. Maybe I could swap a guide camera for my SPC900?? :)

Edited by Ron Clarke

I think the days of getting crazy money for SPC900NC are gone. People are happy the life cams and Xbox cams. Even though they can't be modded for LX and in IMHO nor nearly as good. I've seen stunning DSO taken with the Philips cam and only crude planets taken with the others.

Let the flaming commence :)

The learning curve just got steeper!! :huh:

Welcome to my asylum Ron..........I know the steep learning curve well, I think i am still at the bottom trying to climb up LOL

Sheila

The qhy5 is a good camera for all the above reasons but can be a pain from a driver point of view. I used to use guidemaster as my favourite guiding software but despite downloading the qhy plugin and drivers it dont work, this seems to be quite common with other software. If you use it with phd theres no problem but try it with anything else and you may have oroblems

Up till 2 years ago I was using a mintron for guiding, small chip but super sensitive, if it had on camera st4 then I would still be using it.