• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Saving for an APO, but which one?

Perkil8r

I've decided to start putting my loose change etc in a jar to save up for an APO for imaging. The question is, which one?

I'm not after the cheapest, what I want is the best value for money. I want good quality optics and focuser etc. For the time being I am keeping the eq5 mount and will add guiding soon. I'll still be imaging with the DSLR so that might make a difference. I will be guiding using the st80 when I get a decent imaging scope. So, with weight in mind I am assuming something short and under 120mm apature so as to keep the weight down.

Focal length I am thinking anything between 400 and 700mm although 400-500 would be ideal.

It doesn't matter if it's new or second hand, I just want the best value for money. If it's £1,000 but twice as good as a £700 scope that would be a definate consideration but a £1,000 scope being a bit better than a £700 scope would make the £700 scope the better value so would be my choice. I only say that as an example so you understand my budget which is at present unimportant as I don't expect to buy it tomorrow, next month or even possibly next year, I am prepared to save as long as it takes to get the right scope.

So over to you... suggestions on a postcard...

I did have a chap offer me a scope via e-mail, which I wasn't interested in.

I could send you the details?

Here's what he said (I am sure the imagers will be much better informed than me):

Ascension triplet premium 80ED (Japanese and not Chinese glass s the Meade) Fully Broadband multicoated lenses, True Triplet Apo High Precision model

2" Dielectric Diagonal with over 99% reflectivity with .25" adaptor

Precision Dual Speed Focuser

10mm and 20mm 70degree wide angle multicoated eyepieces

Aluminium Case

Strehl Ratio of 0.947

RMS of 0.0039 This is better than many Apo's that go for over 2grand and are rare!!

Interferometer report comes with it.

He was asking £800.

Sounds good Craig, but I doubt by the time I have the cash saved he would still have it TBH. Thanks though :)

Mike put your money into a new mount like an NEQ6 first (theres one for £500 on ABS) then get a second hand triplet or like me get a Quattro 10" ;) if you can capture shots like you do on your current set up. Just think what you could do with that :)

ed80 plus heq5 for that money any day, second hand you would still have some change for bag of chips as well. Theres an heq5 on sgl at the moment for 500, also ed80s or their clones come up for reasonable money too

Edited by philjay

I'm thinking the scope for starters as I know how far I can push my set up as it is, and TBH the mount is fine but my optics are letting things down with false colour and so on. I know the SW ED80 is cheaper but I do prefer the look of the WO magrez etc although they are a bit more. I think for now the best choice for me is to save and see what comes up in the meantime. Having counted the loose change so far I am up to £151 and a few odds and ends. I know it's a way off yet, but for saying that money doesn'treally exist because it's just loose change from various places I tend to chuck it, I think that's a very healthy start.

I have the WO GT81, it's triplet and a pretty awesome scope, add a field flatner and you have a mighty imaging scope for under £800.

I wouldn't ignore you. I would discuss that I think I can get better results with a better scope (as long as I keep a keen eye on weight and size) on my eq5 than I could with a great mount and the st80. I can push to just under 2 min subs with no problems at around 400mm F/L and as you know, I am more than happy to sit snapping all night long to gather more data. Longer exposures of poor data IMO are never going to beat many times more but shorter exposures of good data. Of course I am willing to listen to those more experienced :)

The st80 seems to be poor for false colour and I can't see how lengthening the subs is going to help with that.

I wouldn't ignore you. I would discuss that I think I can get better results with a better scope (as long as I keep a keen eye on weight and size) on my eq5 than I could with a great mount and the st80. I can push to just under 2 min subs with no problems at around 400mm F/L and as you know, I am more than happy to sit snapping all night long to gather more data. Longer exposures of poor data IMO are never going to beat many times more but shorter exposures of good data. Of course I am willing to listen to those more experienced :)

The st80 seems to be poor for false colour and I can't see how lengthening the subs is going to help with that.

Mike all the advice i have read everywhere and been told says damn good mount first and foremost then consider the scope. get good mount :)

Sheila

Edited by Sheila

TS ED80 F7.

WOW, that is a lot of scope for not a lot of money by the looks of it. Definately one to consider.

Guest Kheldar

Hate to disagree with Noel, but you couldn't pay me enough to take a TS scope at the moment .... QA still not resolved as far as I'm aware.

Hate to disagree with Noel, but you couldn't pay me enough to take a TS scope at the moment .... QA still not resolved as far as I'm aware.

Oh, pray tell.... also what do you make of my reasoning behind scope before mount?

Guest Kheldar

Oh, pray tell.... also what do you make of my reasoning behind scope before mount?

Several models have had bad runs in the past couple of years, stuff that can't be fixed at home.

Noel I assume knows that model better than I, so he's best placed to advise.

I've not even read your argument, it's groundless. Mount before scope, there's no valid exceptions :)

This won't help with your dilemma mike but I've seen Micks WO triplet and its an absolute beauty I didn't get to observe with it but he had it on display and got to touch it. The build quality felt amazing. Not that it matter but the colour scheme was good too!

Guest Kheldar

This won't help with your dilemma mike but I've seen Micks WO triplet and its an absolute beauty I didn't get to observe with it but he had it on display and got to touch it. The build quality felt amazing. Not that it matter but the colour scheme was good too!

The GT81 is an exception to all rules, it's a stunning scope :)

Sadly the replacement model was so bad, certain retailers won't even stock it LOL

That's the only thing that lets it down, mine had never worked but apart from that the scope is extremely well made and feels very robust.

Thrives are to die for, very tight stars and no false clout at all not even on Vega.

That's the only thing that lets it down, mine had never worked but apart from that the scope is extremely well made and feels very robust.

Thrives are to die for, very tight stars and no false clout at all not even on Vega.

Is the focuser any good if you ignore the digital bit? what are Thrives?

Lol my iPhone changed views to thrives. Yes the focuser is excellent and has no slop even with my large 2" Uwan eyepiece, it's really smooth.

I knew you would ask me that and no I haven't but I bought it off Nadeem on SGL and he made some really good images with it. He tried to sell me a flattened to go with it if I was going to image but I didn't buy it.

Sorry for taking a while to answer I'm at work and the stupid machine keeps stoping.