• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Making Progress... Orion 10/11/12 Belper

Perkil8r

Now a stack of:

110 x 15 sec, 112 x 60 sec, 112 x 100 sec all at 800 ISO.

Camera Canon 350d Modded and CLS clip filter (still on loan from Steve aka Ibbo)

Scope St80.

Mount EQ5 unguided.

Stacking DSS, Processing in PS5

I have used layers and masks to preserve some of the core detail and added false luminence using LAB colour and sharpening.

Compared to the last image I feel this is an improvement, and is encouraging to see what I can achieve with 2nd rate equipment and a lot of patience. It makes staying out till 4am in temperatures below freezing almost worthwhile. I think it's fair to say, I am hooked!

8178536027_b1e71e9599_b.jpg

Orion's Sword take 2 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

Edited by Perkil8r

mmmmm mike not sure bout this one, but i am no expert LOL It just looks a bit, I dunno what it is but I think i prefer

the original one for colour etc, but this one has more detail. All in eye of the beholder i suppose.

But well done yes it shows what you can achieve :-)

Sheila

Fantastic Mike, the detail and colour in there is awesome, a very professional looking picture.

Bet you are well pleased with that.

I'll try again

getting much better with more data

I would try a layer median blur about 2% and blend it in or a Gaussian blur of about 0.3 just to smooth the background and take the harshness off the sharpened stars

or try a trial of Noise Ninja or Neat Image to reduce noise but be careful they are powerful tools

Edited by Ibbo

With the running man clearly on show and the trapezium beginning to show detail this is very impressive Mike - and I like what you did with the second process - fabulous shot :)