• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Anyone been to surprise view in Peak District?

Guest Gohan75

I've not been there but have heard a lot of good things about it. If it's as dark as I imagine then a 10" dob will see a lot of stuff.

Welcome to EMS Dan - hope you enjoy the forum :)

Hi Dan, welcome to EMS.

Why don't you come and join us at one of our dark sites, you would be very welcome. It might not be as dark as Surprise view, but it's a lot closer.

For the first visit, it's free, to see if it suits your needs, and then to join is twenty pounds a year. This is for access to two dark sites, and the quarterly meetings.

Keep an eye on the EMS meets thread, pop over and see what you think.

Same as Doc, I've never been but our dark sites are really good!

The dark site at Belper, the Milky Way is clearly visible.

Like Baz says, why not pop over and join in, we're a cracking, friendly bunch and we do like a laugh, also, more often than not, there is cake!

:)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dan,

If you choose your spot then its very dark, then its down to your knowledge of the sky and accuracy pointing your dob. The Peak Star Party is held in the park and the occasion I went even though could not stay for the eve the sky was very clear. You will still suffer from some air transport traffic but this will be well outweighed by the seeing conditions.

Its worth checking out the dark sky map and this link to surprise view in the nationl park http://www.peakdistr...after/darkskies

Cheers

Edited by Tweedledum

Welcome to EMS, Dan.

Surprise View is also known as Millstone Edge on the maps. I've only been there on a warm summers day, and it was a lovely place for a walk and the views. It is certain to be a very dark site, I reckon maybe very slightly darker than our Belper dark site.

It is a long way to go and I certainly wouldn't want to be setting up a scope on my own in a such an out of the way place. As others have said, you'll have much more fun and be much safer at one of our dark sites in a group with the rest of us, using all manner of scopes. And you can get tea, coffee, biscuits and possibly even cake, as well as meeting friendly, helpful people.

Cheers.

Ohhhh - it's Milstone Edge - I spend too much time looking at OS maps lol - yes I've been there - very dark on a good night but like the guys are saying it's a bit of a trek and I doubt I would want to go on my own :)

Guest Gohan75

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I would love to join you guys some time as i'm pretty much a beginner with very limited sky knowledge so would be great to get some advise. Where and when do you guys meet?

Dan - keep an eye out on the Info and Announcements section under "EMS Meets". They are usually planned for the weekend and are entirely weather dependant. There are planned meetings and "on spec" meetings - and they can get called on short notice a couple of hours before dusk - and can be cancelled at short notice too if the weather changes.

You'll get full date, time, and directions on the day - it'll be posted in the thread or ask if it's been forgotten. Look forward to seeing you at a session soon :)

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I would love to join you guys some time as i'm pretty much a beginner with very limited sky knowledge so would be great to get some advise. Where and when do you guys meet?

We have 2 dark sites, one is at Belper and the other one was at Sawley but that us being retired and we are in the process of going through the finer detail, but our new dark site is at Wysmwould, north of Leicester. You have to be a dark site member to go to our dark sites, but the first visit to each one is free, just to see if you like it, if you do, it's the bargin price of £20 a year for unlimited access. We have quarterly meetings with talks and demos etc, but we meet up most weekends when the weather is clear, no planning, just a few days even hours notice, keep an eye on the information and announcements section then EMS meets.

Guest Gohan75

Awesome thanks for the help. I didn't realize those sites were dark skies! they are nice and close to me so that works out nicely! I will be keeping my eyes on the EMS meets page!

thanks.

They are very good considering how close we are to Nottingham, Derby, Leciester etc etc, the milky way is clearly visable at Belper on a clear night, that many stars I lose my way with regards to constallations!!!

There have been many a night we have stayed until the sun came up, had some awesome nights at Belper!!!

but be warned, the dark site at Belper is really, really high up, where temperatures are a good 10 degrees colder at the dark site than down in Belper/Ambergate, I have had 3-4 mm of frost on my scope before, glasses freezing up etc, it is really cold at Belper so if you are coming up, be prepeared - thermalls, plenty of clothes etc!

Yes, myself and my partner were regular users of that darksite before we joined EMS and switched to Belper.

Had one of my best ever observing sessions there winter last year, but when we went last (a few months ago), the traffic from the nearby A6187 really ruined the night. Vehicles literally passing by with full beams on every 10 seconds! This was around midnight too. If you're nesh, it gets proper cold up there in winter, too.

Although technically speaking, I don't know if Belper is darker, but it does have better 360 degree views of the sky (far less trees blocking your view) and is a little closer for us, with a great crowd too - a no brainer for us! :)

As mentioned Belper, as it's also on an exposed hill gets really cold quick.

You defo need loads of layers, and at least jogging bottoms under jeans. Have a look in Yeoman's they stock "Heat store" socks which work a treat, and were on offer when I bought mine.
/>http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/products/outdoor-footwear/hiking-socks/heat-holder-slippers-socks-m.aspx