• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Not another newbie :-)

Guest acezak

Hi all,,,

Hopefully the tittle wont be said to many times hehe,,,,

Well just picked up my first scope,,, don't laugh we have to start somewhere,,, Sky Watcher 130EQ2 with motor drive.

Although really wanted a Nexstar 4s goto ,,, but I am looking at a used goto month from one and was thinking to mount my scope on it ,,,, thoughts?

Anyway would you believe it sky's covered in clouds so looks I'll be fiddling with it in the front room tonight lol.

Laters all

Nick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catman161

• Cazz

• Craig

• BAZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick, welcome to EMS.

Nothing wrong with your choice of first scope, like you say, we all have to start somewhere.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Regards,

Daz.

Hi Nick and welcome!

Just got the scope and already looking at upgrades? Looks like the hole has already been burned in your pocket! :lol:

Hi Nick, welcome to EMS :) We'll blame you for the clouds too then :P

There's nothing at all wrong with a 130p, I've got a little heritage dob thing, and Wayne (OH) has a 150p dob.

Hehe awwww you guys :-),,,, yeah me and never settling for what I start with lol,,, might have to make up a dove tail to fit but think ill give it a go ,,,, think I'll be more happier with a goto system, that's not to say I won't give a semi manual a go to give my learning curve a tilt......

Yeah yeah knew I'd get the blame that's it the big fan's coming out lol

Can anyone recommend a good book to start me off?

Turn Left at Orion - superb book

/>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972

Newbie or not, looking at what you are holding in your photo, you should have no problem accurately pointing your scope without goto :lol: .

Welcome to EMS Nick.

Newbie or not, looking at what you are holding in your photo, you should have no problem accurately pointing your scope without goto :lol: .

Welcome to EMS Nick.

Erm lol sorry guys don't be scared lol tried to crop it out but the iPad had other idea's.... Yeah but star generally shoot back lol

Sort of feel I'm crashing the party as this a East Midlands party ,,, can't find any down south

Location isn't a problem, you're most welcome on here. :)

Well what do you know the fan worked,, right lets see if I can focus this thing lol,,,, oh question got a 25m lense on should I fit the Barlow x2 on there too?

Well what do you know the fan worked,, right lets see if I can focus this thing lol,,,, oh question got a 25m lense on should I fit the Barlow x2 on there too?

The barlow will double the magnification of your eyepiece. As Pete suggests, leave it off for now.

You'll probably soon find that you appreciate the lower mag and wider fields. I did, I very rarely go beyond 20mm these days. :D

Yeah worked that one out ,,, looking at one bright star that's got two small ones to the right and one to the right,,, of course I've no idea what I'm looking at right now but it's cool lol

I'm pleased

Hi nick. Welcome to EMS.

Nothing wrong with a 130. Thats all I've got too. Aperture fever sets in very quickly with this hobby. And gets very expensive! Lol.

Hard to decide what to get next. I change my mind every other day lol.

Regards

Tobias

Dobs are a favourite here. I had one and many members swear by them. They give the best "bang for your buck" as far as aperture goes. :)

Welcome to EMS :)

I concur with guys above, sounds like Jupiter you were looking at its the "star" that first got me interested in this last year :)

wicked..... i really need a book lol.... my first planet awwww..... not impressed with the moter drive though think i'll stick with the manual option till i get the goto mount....

anyone here of any floating about?

We bought from astroboot a goto mount for £125, it's a 60mm fract starter kit thing.

I believe this will take a 130, we've had ours mounted on it, but not acually used it yet.

We think it's excellent value because you get a goto mount and handset, red dot finder, some eyepieces and a carry case for it for less money than just a handset. :-)

We bought from astroboot a goto mount for £125, it's a 60mm fract starter kit thing.

I believe this will take a 130, we've had ours mounted on it, but not acually used it yet.

We think it's excellent value because you get a goto mount and handset, red dot finder, some eyepieces and a carry case for it for less money than just a handset. :-)

wow where did you get that from? the nexstar i'm looking at is £150 but it probably will go higher