• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eye strain - does it get easier ?

Guest MrsR

Had my first couple of hours out with my Dob and one of the main reasons o can back inside was eye strain and didn't want to give myself a headache. At one stage I lost control of what eye to shut and what one to open! Does it get easier ?

An eye patch will help here if you don't mind looking like a pirate lol. But it does enable you to relax both eyes whilst observing. I just hold a hand over one eye whilst using the other. In a truly dark site it's a lot easier.

Or maybe you're trying to look through the eyepiece "to hard" - it's a stage most newbies go through untill they learn to relax the eye whilst observing. So you wouldn't be the first and it will get easier - a relaxed eye sees a lot more :)

As Kim says, try an eye patch (Parrot optional) or holding one hand over the other eye. It does get a bit easier as you get more time at the eyepiece. I can now just about almost switch one eye off. Sounds wierd, but I leave both eyes open but ignore the other one. Unless it's a bright place where I a observing I can do this and "see" nothing with the other eye whilst looking with the eye throught the eyepiece. As Kim says, try and relax, you'll see more and it will get easier.

Hmm, I think i heard the best way to observe is to have both eyes open, too.

But it just makes my eyestrain worse, as I end up cross-eyed. :wacko:

I guess its all down to practice?

I'm lucky, never had a problem with eye strain. Possibly because I have had a lot of practice over many years, since I was about 9 years old.

I always close one eye, but have learned to do this while staying relaxed.

If I leave both open, it reduces my ability to see very faint stuff in the eyepiece, because I can't block from my mind the image in the other eye.

I would imagine that an eyepatch would really help reduce or prevent any eyestrain.

One problem I do have, is that I can only close my right eye or both the left and right together. Can't close just my left eye - weird. So I have always observed with my left eye. I have worn glasses just for reading for the last 5 years and I am aware that my left eye is not quite as good as my right, so I intend to experiment using a patch on my left eye while observing with the right. Maybe I will see more.

I've found I need to keep my glasses on, because I get sea sick and wobble if not lol. But that is most likely down to my prescription and lack of balance. :-S

I'm interested in trying an eye patch as I also can't block out the view from the unused eye. And when I put my hand over it I smudge my glasses. :-/

Another option is to put a blanket/cover over your head like the old fashion photographers used to do.

I suffer with neck strain, second night at ems1 i had a real bad stiff neck, maybe i should use the EP and not be looking straight up :lol:

I have one of those neck things like the footballer Teves used to wear. Is it called a snood?

Anyway it keeps my neck toasty therefore less chance of a strain.

I tend to use the neck warmer that I skydive/snowboard in. Anything above 1 or 2 degrees and my neck sweats if I leave it on!

After my viewing session last night I found I got quite bad strain from having one eye closed. I tried putting my hand over my left eye, which helped but I found it quite awkward. So I think I'll pretend to be a pirate and get myself an eye patch. Yarr lol

I've also got a neck warmer, but as i'm not built for snowboarding or skydiving lol, mine is a hood and high zip on my fleecy fleece. It also has long sleeves that keep my wrists and hand backs warm. :-)

Also the hood doesn't slide off like a hat does when moving your head about.

My hat drove me mental last night sliding off

Mine used to too, you end up with it perched on top of your head not really keeping your head warm at all.