• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Peak Star Party 2013

Guest marmalade

Anybody going? Difficult weekend for me but I might haggle it if a few of us are going.

I'm up for it.

difficult for me as is only next weekend after Kelling i think???

Not sure it would go down to well at home LOL

Sheila

difficult for me as is only next weekend after Kelling i think???

Not sure it would go down to well at home LOL

Sheila

Same here - my life would not be worth living if I poped out 2 weekends on the trott - lol.

Guest Kheldar

Does anyone know what the LP is like there, same as Belper? or maybe darker?

Not been myself, but I suspect it will kick Belper in the ... proverbials :)

would say similar but not as dark as kelling i dont think. Site is nice though and nothing really too near to spoil dark.

Barn where sheep are is a bit smelly though, ask Steve LOL.. Also sheep have been in fields were tents are pitched so watch

you shoes.....ewwwwww

Sheila

would say similar but not as dark as kelling i dont think. Site is nice though and nothing really too near to spoil dark.

Barn where sheep are is a bit smelly though, ask Steve LOL.. Also sheep have been in fields were tents are pitched so watch

you shoes.....ewwwwww

Sheila

That's not good :(

its only sheep, not cows or horses LOL

Sheila

Ha ha, supose your right, I do fancy going to this..

Guest marmalade

Bit of an improvement this year. We are in a different and much larger barn that is not used for livestock - it is the winter storage barn for Shallow Grange's seasonal caravans.

The Neptune field is used for livestock but nothing on it for 28 days before PSP so most of the muck goes (not all, though!).

Cheers for the interest ask,

J.

Bit of an improvement this year. We are in a different and much larger barn that is not used for livestock - it is the winter storage barn for Shallow Grange's seasonal caravans.

The Neptune field is used for livestock but nothing on it for 28 days before PSP so most of the muck goes (not all, though!).

Cheers for the interest ask,

J.

Thats why I said its only sheep, nothing too humongous LOL City boys you know!!!

Sheila

City boys you know!!!

After seeing what Emma's horse is capable of, I'm afraid of anything that poos in a field! :lol:

How does it compare with the location we used for EMS1?

Not nearly as good a dark site as EMS1 sadly. But for the area I believe it's considered good. There was light pollution from two quarries I could see which never seemed to switch off the lights. A high level main road behind which was weird because flashing blue lights gave an strange glow to the sky through the fog which descended on the Saturday night. Also they stacked aeroplanes overhead especially noticed when it was foggy. Now sorry of that sounds bad news but I did enjoy the whole event and especially the talks and help which was freely given.

We were not blessed by clear starry nights sadly lots of patchy cloud cover and drizzle except for a few periods in the early hours when some die hards managed to stay sober enough to grab some frames

Had the clouds parted for longer I'm sure the other visual distractions would have been less noticeable.

As I said not nearly as dark as EMS1 but good for the area and with everything else thrown in it was well worth the visit and I've signed up and paid for 2013 :)

As I said not nearly as dark as EMS1 but good for the area and with everything else thrown in it was well worth the visit and I've signed up and paid for 2013 :)

Now THAT is dedication! :D

Well two 500+ mile journeys in two weeks in the camper was expensive and time consuming but I did enjoy it :)

Edited by Teslar

I'm gonna see how the dates work out. I don't have Kelling so that's not a problem, but that's my B'day weekend so I may be elsewhere.