• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Peak Star Party 2013

Guest marmalade

Guest marmalade

For dark skies, it suffers a lot of there is much moisture in the air as this reflects the light from the two quarries. In PSP2011, we had a couple of periods of very dry skies when you would never have known the quarries were there - where Shallow Grange really wins is that there is nothing within 20 miles from northeast round to west so if the local quarry light-domes are not there, it is very dark.

Andromeda, the double-cluster and some of the dust lanes in the Milky Way were clearly naked-eye visible at PSP2011; sadly the weather for PSP2012 was not on our side, though Dion (AstronomyShed) got a fantastic shot of Jupiter through a break in the clag.

From our point of view, you pays your money and you takes your choices: we may not have the skies of Kielder or Kelling (though I think we challenge Kelling in good conditions) but we are bang in the middle of the country rather than 4 hours down the A-b*****d-14 (I've done the Chester - Chelmsford run too often!) and we make up for it by making it a FUN weekend with loads to do.

</ sales pitch> :)

J.

Edited by marmalade

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marmalade

Hi all,

apologies for the delay in responding to PMs and e-mails.

I am snowed under with work at the moment and will deal with all the questions sent but it may not be until next weekend.

One of the other organisers should be back available again so I'll be able to spread this load a bit in the New Year and answer questions a bit more quickly.

Thanks,

James.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marmalade

OK, I was a weekend out :)

Most requests successfully fulfilled but I have had to make a few compromises to accommodate. Will e-mail the ones I have not been able to shortly.

Thanks,

James.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Turtleboy

Just wondering is there a limit on numbers and if so how quickly do these things fill up?

I am not organised enough to make plans for next week let alone October. :blink:

Edited by Turtleboy

Some of them fill up quickly, especially Keeling and SGL8, but some of the others are not so popular.  Depends on which one you want to go to.

Sheila

• 4 months later...
Guest fusebox666

yes I'm booked on, it was a bit boggy last year, had to be pushed off by 6 people, my motorhome loves mud it dig's it's self in. ;)  :( , enjoyed the talk's, with sheep :)