• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS2

cosmic dave

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• Sheila

• Daz Type-R

• Perkil8r

I have just booked - booked the time off work, booked the time off from SWMBO - completely forgot to book with the site - DOH. :facepalm:

I`m there Friday to Sunday - whoooop.

:)

Edited by Daz Type-R

Thats great guys this year we have a little extra inc a lecture room and imaging workshop.

Thats great guys this year we have a little extra inc a lecture room and imaging workshop.

Yes I heard something extra was in the planning this year. - Well looking forward to it now.

Had a lovely chat to the women who runs/owns it, she seemed to remember me when I said I was there last year !!!  :o

I hope that's a good thing?

Yes I heard something extra was in the planning this year. - Well looking forward to it now.

Had a lovely chat to the women who runs/owns it, she seemed to remember me when I said I was there last year !!!  :o

I hope that's a good thing?

Yeah the campsite people are great, think we hit lucky on this site the other site i had a look at was not a patch on this one.

There may be another surprise on the way shortly (hint hint) will keep you posted..

Dave.

Not wanting to step on your toes or anything over EMS2 (your doing a cracking job by the way) and I know you have lots lined up for us, but I have noticed from the welcome thread and other sections that we have a lot of "newbies" coming to EMS2.  At EMS1 I would say 98% of us knew each other, if not by the face at least by name.  Do you think it worthwhile we have a sort of "open event" for example on the Friday night, something that the newbies could come to, see everyone, say hi etc?

I don't mind introducing the newbies to everybody, I did something similar at EMS1, I cant for the life of me remember who I showed round but I think they appreciated it, I don't know?

It's just a thought, I`ve never been to a star party before other than EMS1 so don't know if that is the done thing, I just think it may be a bit intimidating for some newbies to come up to a group of us who have know each other for a few years.

Like I say, it's just a thought, I know that SGL and Kelling are too big to do anything like this but we are a good size, but feel free to ignore if you think it is a daft idea.

Guest Kheldar

Great idea, not sure I agree with the last line though - my first was Kelling and pitched in with the EMS lot I was made to feel most welcome and shown round :)

First contact was Martyn, he even made me a cuppa after my 6 hours martahon :wub:

EMS1 was a first time event, and i am sure that each time the event is held it ill become more organised and have more of an established routine. Not to say that there was anything wrong last time around.

I was lucky as i knew all the EMS members (being one of them helped :D ) but i can appreciate what you are saying. It can sometimes be a little intimidating for a newer member.

I am sure that when Dave reads this he will get the ball rolling with other members as to how best to introduce newcomers and make them feel welcome.

EMS1 was a first for me and thanks to Ron and Mike for making me welcome and the others who dropped by to say hello. It was a bit daunting for me as I'd never met anyone from the site face to face but I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. A meet up and intro session sounds a great idea

EMS badges may help, I know a lot of members faces but am at an age where the names don't come easy!!  :wacko:

Good idea Darren. In fact Kelling do have organised walks round the telescope fields for groups of folks and I believe there's an organised welcome at SGLn events (where n <=8).

I'm sure you'll find a similar friendly welcome from the mods at EMS2 (though likely on a more "less organised" basis) and dark site members are sure to join in this as well. I personally have spent time entertaining so many folks at Kelling that I hardly got any astronomy done lol. But I'm happy to show anyone around at EMS2.

But there's really nothing for newbies to feel intimidated about - and there's everything to look forward to - especially if it's your first star party. Once you're past the "What scope have you got...... I've got a xyz scope...... oooo can I have a look through it please" stage you'll find you've got 50 new buddies to send Xmas cards to lol :)

Good idea Darren. In fact Kelling do have organised walks round the telescope fields for groups of folks and I believe there's an organised welcome at SGLn events (where n <=8).

I'm sure you'll find a similar friendly welcome from the mods at EMS2 (though likely on a more "less organised" basis) and dark site members are sure to join in this as well. I personally have spent time entertaining so many folks at Kelling that I hardly got any astronomy done lol. But I'm happy to show anyone around at EMS2.

But there's really nothing for newbies to feel intimidated about - and there's everything to look forward to - especially if it's your first star party. Once you're past the "What scope have you got...... I've got a xyz scope...... oooo can I have a look through it please" stage you'll find you've got 50 new buddies to send Xmas cards to lol :)

Yeah it's not for me Kim, I can talk rubbish all night (plus I was at EMS1), I just thought about the new forum members who have recently joined up.

good idea Darren, i remember my first starparty, tucked away in a little corner of the blue field at Kelling with no camping gear and one of the smallist scopes on the field, but had a great time and never missed an Autumn one since. the views from a dark sky were amazing so you don`t need a big scope or alot of gear to get fantastic views. name badges are a must i think, i`m getting on and keep forgetting names all the time, it can break the ice when your see the forum name and remember posts you were interested in.

fingers crossed it`ll be a great event, i`m sure it will and all i would say is if you haven`t ever been to a star party before please do come along you won`t regret it.

I should be coming but will leave it until closer to the time before booking to be sure.

I'm hoping I might have a campervan by then :)

Cool, good choice.  ;)

We'll be coming early, and leaving late, infact it'll be our holiday.  :D

Cool, good choice.  ;)

We'll be coming early, and leaving late, infact it'll be our holiday.  :D

Great, might be able to give you your cover back I borrowed at EMS1.  :lol:

Great, might be able to give you your cover back I borrowed at EMS1.  :lol:

Lol, then you can borrow it again in the next few days lol.  :P

Sorry I've only just seen this (very busy with work/family/elac/ems and ems2 lol) I have been thinking about this and yes it will be an altogether busier event than last year, I was thinking of a friday night BBQ or maybe using the function room at the local pub for a welcome and say hello meeting. We used badges last year which seemed to work really well. What do you guys think?

TBH if it's clear and dark you won't get me to leave the site. A BBQ would be best IMO, or depending on numbers would it be at all practical to contact a local Mobile food trader to do something like a Hog Roast or something maybe? I seriously doubt they would charge for attending, only for the food people wanted as most of the time such traders have to pay to be allowed to trade at such events. Just an idea, but it means none of us would be liable for the food or the pitfalls of Health and Hygiene etc implications.

Edit: P.s. I am involved with events at Skegness Stadium and know the various caterers there who may either be willing to do something or recommend something else? 

Edited by Perkil8r

TBH if it's clear and dark you won't get me to leave the site. A BBQ would be best IMO, or depending on numbers would it be at all practical to contact a local Mobile food trader to do something like a Hog Roast or something maybe? I seriously doubt they would charge for attending, only for the food people wanted as most of the time such traders have to pay to be allowed to trade at such events. Just an idea, but it means none of us would be liable for the food or the pitfalls of Health and Hygiene etc implications.

Going to keep an eye on numbers for the moment, nearer the time we can have another think..

Why not just do a bbq using the site bbq facilities - with a small charge for the fuel. Folks bring their own burgers and wine or whatever they want to eat/drink, and cook it themselves, or appoint any wannabe enthusiast as chef of the day.

It works well at Kelling EMS do's. Never seen the attraction of a hog roast myself other than getting together to eat and chill out for an hour or two till dusk.

Alternatively a mobile burger bar as Mike suggests is a good idea. We don't really want to risk the responsibility of poisoning folks (which my cooking would lol). Just an idea..... :)

Booked today. In case there is any doubt, I like BBQs!.. and cakes.  :)  and rockets.

Are you putting your name down for the contest then? :thumbsup:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.