• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS2

cosmic dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• Sheila

• Daz Type-R

• Perkil8r

TBH if it's clear and dark you won't get me to leave the site. A BBQ would be best IMO, or depending on numbers would it be at all practical to contact a local Mobile food trader to do something like a Hog Roast or something maybe? I seriously doubt they would charge for attending, only for the food people wanted as most of the time such traders have to pay to be allowed to trade at such events. Just an idea, but it means none of us would be liable for the food or the pitfalls of Health and Hygiene etc implications.

Edit: P.s. I am involved with events at Skegness Stadium and know the various caterers there who may either be willing to do something or recommend something else?

I agree Mike if its a clear night i dont think anyone will want to leave the site and risk that the next night is not clear :o

Sheila

I love the idea of BBQ or mobile food van as mike suggested. I also agree on not leaving the site if its clear. It'll be my first star party so I'll be up for an all nighter and sleeping during the day! Right tomorrow I will definitely remember to book my pitch!

Fish n chips would get my vote but then so would many other mobile food vans! It would be quintessentially British having a chippy though. Seems perfect to me;imagining crystal clear, dark skies with the best seeing ever, good company and some fish n chips :)

Guest CodnorPaul

am working on the other half problem is it is her 40th that weekend - that being said we are not going away that weekend as kids at school week after, so will keep trying (obviously she would be coming with me and the kids would be at grandparents so think I may even win this one ;)).  If I do it may be a fairly late thing though - is there likely to be any late availability on pitches?

Edited by CodnorPaul

Phone them up Paul - you're bound to get in. Book it any way and if for any reason you can't go just give them as much notice as possible - two weeks notice at least would seem fair. Can't solve the 40th thing for you but rebrand it as a romantic weekend away under the stars lol :)

Guest Kheldar

Fish n chips would get my vote but then so would many other mobile food vans! It would be quintessentially British having a chippy though. Seems perfect to me;imagining crystal clear, dark skies with the best seeing ever, good company and some fish n chips :)

You forgot alcohol ...

Believe me Kim - re-branded already! :D

i fear for your wellbeing....... 40th Birthday......you are braver than any of the rest on here.  Good luck with that one,  i would kill you :lol:

cold , wet damp and full of astronomers :wacko:

Sheila

Edited by Sheila

Guest Kheldar

Liking the sound of this but I'm just curious. What is the back up plan if it's minging down all weekend?

We drink even more than we would of had it been clear :)

You forgot alcohol ...

It's never forgotten Stephen, it's a given ;)

Our back up plan is a few trips into Skeggy and Mablethorpe to mess around on the vintage pinball machines, throw a ball in a hole horse races, and pick a teddy from a glass box using a hand crane. A good steak in the local hostelry with a bottle of wine. Then watch TV and video's in the caravan at night till the weather clears. :)

I am gonna bring my wet weather and fishing gear and was gonna see what I can pull out of the lake if the weather was bad :)

Edited by catman161

Well Sheila, as you know Sarah my other half was depending on you as support!  :(

does she do astronomy?????  As I  am an imager i have to be honest that most of the time i am glued to a computer and a telescope if it works :lol: and asleep

during the day :(   If it does not work well we just drink..... I just dont want you to be the most unpopular guy on her 40th Brithday :lol:  

Sheila

Guest CodnorPaul

She has an interest to be fair but wouldn't do that to you - was more thinking pre-event to get her interested in going. Time under dark sky's is too precious! Will see how it goes in the build up 

I am gonna bring my wet weather and fishing gear and was gonna see what I can pull out of the lake if the weather was bad :)

Funny you say that, you can fish in the lake right next to the pitches

Funny you say that, you can fish in the lake right next to the pitches

Yeah I know eddy that's why I am bringing my fishing gear :)

does she do astronomy?????  As I  am an imager i have to be honest that most of the time i am glued to a computer and a telescope if it works :lol: and asleep

during the day :(   If it does not work well we just drink..... I just dont want you to be the most unpopular guy on her 40th Brithday :lol:

Sheila

What tosh!

You were mainly found with a drink in your hand during the night, with the occasional look at a screen, then during the day you were cooking me breakfast and dinner!

;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.