• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sky at Night Magazine Special Offer

Craig

Yes I got a flyer in this months copy for that offer - if you add six months to it you get allmost a full year for £25. That's about half price over 11 months buying retail from a shop which would cost £49.50. Makes a great buy for a newbie who's learning the night sky for the first time :)

Yeah I am subscribed to astronomy but saw that offer in the mag (I picked it up whilst in whsmith just to compare) and thought it worth getting also.

Is there something wrong with sky at night mag? I have only picked up my first issue the other day. Got January's issue of astronomer came in the post yesterday but not read that yet so can't compare.

SAN is fine Felix - reading the center page object guide faithfully every month is what got me my knowledge of the sky. But after the first year most folks tend towards something a little more substantial in reading material. So they look at Astronomy Now and other publications that are a bit more technical and in depth.

But SAN is full of equipment reviews, intro stuff on astro photography, beginners guides, latest space news in brief, advice columns, drawing guides (by Tabitha from SGL), equipment advice (by Steppenwolf on SGL) and plenty of adverts and other interesting stuff, including a forward by Sir Patrick. It's ideal for anyone new to the subject :)

I still buy it occasionally but I do get AN and others too.

Cool. Thanks for the breakdown Kim.

I am subscribed to Astronomy Now as I told you the other day. I just thought from looking at sky at night mag that it seemed ok but when seeing the other comments thought that I might be missing something or wasting my money is all.

So I think, as I am a beginner I may go for the subscription deal for sky at night as I will benefit from reading as much as I can.

For a beginner S@N is brilliant and you will love it and learn loads, but after a while you will want more info and thats where Sky and Telescope wins. The articles and reviews are much bigger and deeper and thats what appeals to me.

Sorry to give the wrong impression re S@N Felix. Its great for beginners and dipping into but folks quickly outgrow it as the articles IMHO and especially the reviews lack depth. Sky and Telescope is a long established magazine which caters for all beginners through to professionals, but even that mag has been dumbed down a bit over the years but its still up there.

Take the reviews, S&N you probably get a 2 page spread of which 75% is glossy big photos then you will get a column and half if lucky of review. S&T you get regularly get pages of review with smaller images and alot more info based on long term tests.

I reckon Astronomy Now is abetter mag than S@N and falls somewhere between S@N and S&T

Phil

No problem Phil. Being such a newbie, like I said I value all of the opinions of those experienced members and just wondered if I would be wasting my time with S@N considering I am already subscribed to astronomy now.

As an aside what time and channel is the show sky at night on?

Felix

The Stargazing Live event is on 16th, 17th, and 18th of Jan at 8:00pm. SAN tends to be on a couple of times per week - we nearly allways watch a repeat late on Sat night or early on Sun morning - can't for the life of me remember what time though lol :)

Nope - one of the BBC channels - quick hop round at 8pm will find it - only 4 to choose from lol :)

Beat me to it Craig lol

Sorted-series linked to record all future episodes. Thanks Craig, and thanks Kim :)

Sorry to give the wrong impression re S@N Felix. Its great for beginners and dipping into but folks quickly outgrow it as the articles IMHO and especially the reviews lack depth. Sky and Telescope is a long established magazine which caters for all beginners through to professionals, but even that mag has been dumbed down a bit over the years but its still up there.

Take the reviews, S&N you probably get a 2 page spread of which 75% is glossy big photos then you will get a column and half if lucky of review. S&T you get regularly get pages of review with smaller images and alot more info based on long term tests.

I reckon Astronomy Now is abetter mag than S@N and falls somewhere between S@N and S&T

Phil

I agree as now is the better mag, I buy it every month without fail, sky at night mag is one i get now and then (but i must admit i have already signed up for the special offer price) as now has better articles in my opinion and is printed on better quality paper.