• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Best observing sites in Peak District?

Guest Gohan75

Guest Gohan75

I went to the peak district last weekend, to surprise view. I was pretty impressed with the sky but there was a surrounding glow from near by cities. Just curious if there are any other places with slightly darker sky within the peak district?

I use a 10" dob and it was the first time i had seen the Andromeda galaxy and was slightly disappointed. It was only barley visible as a very hazy patch, i couldn't see a distinctive core or any kind of structure. Is this normal through a 10" dob in skies of this quality? Is there something wrong with my scope or is it just that the sky was not dark enough? I also could not see the galaxy with the naked eye.

Having said that i could see the milky way emerging over head.... which i also had never seen before so it must have been pretty good skies.... confusing!?

Edited by Gohan75

With regards to Andromeda (M31), that's as good as you are going to get i`m afraid!!!

You may have a problem with collimation, or perhaps the seeing might not of been very good, but I have been up at our Belper dark site when the milky way was very visible and there were that many stars, finding constellations was tricky and even though I only have an 8" mirror compared to your 10", M31 is nothing but a fuzzy patch.

Personally, I don't see the point of going all the way to the peak district when Belper on a good night is truly awesome!!!!

To visibly see detail in M31 I believe you need a massive mirror in the region of 20" upwards to get the dust lanes, core etc etc. (`I`m talking to visibly see it, if you are doing astro photography then that is totally different.)

Edited by Daz Type-R

I used to have a 16" dob and I could clearly see dust lanes in M31, but it had to be from dark skies.

I would say the Peak district is perhaps the best place round here for dark skies, but our site at Belper on a good night comes a close second.