• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st December 2012

philjay

A very clear and cold night with the moon rising at about 20:30 hours so I decided to do visual on Jupiter and lunar as well as tackle a few doubles in Taurus.

Scope Meade 127 EDT F7.5 refractor

Took a look at Jupiter 1st, around 19:00 hours which showed the GRS coming into view nicely but atmospherics were a little wobbly due to the planets elevation so I spent awhile bagging some doubles in Taurus

STF 494 - an equal mag pair at 7.6 with 5.2" separation. Couldnt discern any colour difference both yellow / white.

STF510 - 6.9 and 9.9 mag with 11" separation, easy to split with medium power colour contrast pair with orange primary and yellow secondary

STF515 - 8.7 and 9 mag with 3.2" separation. A good test for conditions but split nicely with medium power

47 Tau - Tough one this but wanted to test the conditions, 4.9 and 7.4 mag with 1.1" separation, no way could I split these in these conditions, too much high altitude turbulence. 200x revealed an oblong to the star indicating it was plural but no split

V774 Tau - Bino pair at 6.3 and 7 mag with super wide 66" separation, easy.

STF517 - 7.4 and 9.1 mag with 3.3" separation, easily split with high power despite moon light reducing contrast on fainter secondary component.

Phi Tau - 5 and 6.1 mag with wide 52" separation. A nice easy pair with good colour red primary and blue / white secondary

Went on to Jupiter and when conditions allowed I was getting good detail with medium mag, higher than 200 was out as image broke down due to atmospherics.

I could wax lyrical about what I saw but this little snap will explain all, its not up to much as I had to keep that mag down but its at about F16 with Vixen 2x barlow and extension tubes with the QHY5. A bit grainy but it shows what I was seeing in good still moments.

The GRS with turbulence detail in the belt adjacent too it. Plenty of festoons in the pic but only the centre one was visible at the eyepiece and that only with a blue filter.

Edited by philjay

Guest Ely Ellis

Great report Phil.

I like doubles, so was very interested in what you looked at. Makes me want to get home. Just 3 more days and I will be home, but I bet I bring cloudy skies with me, just my luck.

Nice image of Jupiter, and on a 127 refractor, excellent. Gives me some hope.

Cheers

Martin