• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Happy Birthday Stephen Hawking.

BAZ

Today is the 70th birthday of the most remarkable man of our generation.

Not only has he had to deal with a crippling illness for the majority of his life, he has expanded our understanding of the Cosmos in a way not seen since Albert Einstein.

Not only has he done this, but he has tried to get the members of the public to understand what he has discovered, and communicated this in a way that helps people like me, get to grips with some of his amazing concepts.

He was until recently, the only man since Sir Issac Newton in 1663, to hold the chair as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge.

In my humble opinion, a truly unique person.

Happy Birthday.

A truly fascinating man, his insight to the cosmos is remarkable. Not bad for someone who the doctors said would not live for very long.

His pretty ill now though, I've read his down to one word per minute. What a shame as he is truly an astonishing individual, happy birthday Stephen.

Have I read correctly that he and his team are working full time on a neural interface (ohhhh star trek here we come) to enable him to communicate better? Or was it some software that uses the position of his eyes to spell a word?

I think he uses his eyes to select words now as it's the only part of his body he can control

Yeah, you're very nearly correct Rusty.

I saw an interview with his biographer on tv yesterday and it's the orbicularis oculi muscle that he uses to select the words. That's the muscle that encircles the eye.

He is a truly amazing human being and a true testament to the power of human determination and endeavour.

He is a truly amazing human being and a true testament to the power of human determination and endeavour.

100% agree with that. He's a marvel of the human race, no less.