• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Netherfield Lagoons

Doc

Went to Netherfield Lagoons today to see this Siberian Chifchaff that has been resident for over a week and as always loads of twitchers there and no sight of the bird.

Had a good walk around the lagoons, all the typical birds resident and all in all I enjoyed this new walk for me. What did amaze me was the sheer numbers of Redwings, must have seen over 100.

Past Colwick heading towards Burton Joyce.

On the right is the big retail park called I think Victoria retail park.

Turn in there and second roundabout turn left onto Teal close.

Park at the bottom and walk down Ouse Dyke until you reah the lagoons.

netherfieldlagoons.jpg

Same here with Fieldfares, more than I have seen in many a year!!

Saw at least 50 of them as well Ron.

That does sound like a lovely place.

I sometimes take the other half to watermead country park in Leicester and have a sit in the hides and a chinwag to the local bird watchers.

Have taken a few photos on the Lumix DMC-FZ8 before too. Now that I have the celestron 15x70's I may take them along next time :)

Your 15x70 will be very good but a little large and heavy to hand hold.

If you lived near the sea these would be great for sea watching bring those Gannets really close.

I will most likely take my tripod. In fact I've got the bins on the tripod right now admiring Pleiades :). Have also been looking at jupiter,4 moons visible and M42 and of course Orion and Cassiopeia. Skies have cleared nicely over my house. Moon is extremely bright however.

Funny you should mention living by the sea I grew up in North Devon. I really miss it sometimes. Will Have lived in Leicester 10 years come

September. The skies out on Exmoor use to look amazing and also down in the beach near my house. Folks still reside in Devon just moved to the east. Shame I loved the house near the beach.

Felix

We have a static caravan in Norfolk, about 50m from the beach, it's great to walk the dog along the beach early in the morning.

its Gibraltar point for me, lovely area by the beach and watching the creeks fill when the tide comes in is amazing.