• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

KELLING AUTUMN 2012 Please read

Doc

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brantuk

• Doc

• red dwalf

• Celeste

Top Posters In This Topic

Update

Kim, Di, and everyone that needs to know, Nick I.e. geezanova is booked onto pitch 222, booked it at kelling last year.

We usually make it in 3-3.5 hrs from Leicester. Once you get past Peterborough it's flat all the way just about. Apart from one slightly dodgey poorly posted multi lane roundabout it's an absolute doddle. I just slap the cruise control on 50mph and point the car. No nerve frazzling motorways, no tight maneouvering round narrow streets. Lovely drive - highly recommended :)

(avoid vehicle fires lol) :)

....or 3.5 hrs just to get to Eye which is just beside Peterborough :angry: I was stopped in the jam watching the sun go down, was NOT impressed. It was dark by the time we reached Eye so I parked up for a few minutes then we came home. Only 1 hr or so to get back. Nasty. This time, I am pulling the kids out early so we can set off around 12-1pm. Where is the dodgy roundabout Kim?

It's the big one round the Kings Lyn bypass - I've mastered it now but went round it 3 times the first 3 times I went to Kelling lol. If you've got a sat nav you should be ok cos it'll hopefully tell you wich lane and wich turn off you need. Whereas me 'n' Di prefer to argue about her navigating lol :)

No I don't do satnavs ;) I google earth my route, write it down, use streetview to eyeball junctions and roundabouts so I can write down which turn I need.....stick it all on my memory drive (brain) and off we go :lol: Gets me where I need to go lol. I did that for Kelling last time....

Sat Navs are useful to a point, but useless if they are not updated regularly. I have one, but don't rely on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading on the main site for this star party, it says only 2 of the 3 fields are 'observing' fields, mentioning red and yellow....does that mean blue isn't very good? Also says some pitches at the southern end are below trees? And there are 'normal' campers on blue too....

there is some trees on the edge of the blue field but where we are booked is in the middle so it doesn`t really bother us, is a little more cosy than the red field which has alot of caravans and tents on it, there isn`t any normal campers on the site it`s just stargazers. there are some static vans opposite the blue field which does have no astronomy holiday makers in them, if the blue field wasn`t very good we certainly wouldn`t book it again, this will be my 3rd year at the same spot

Edited by red dwalf

Ok thanks for the info, it just reads off the website as though only red and yellow are classed as 'observing' fields and have the lights blackened out, no mention of the blue one...besides trees in the south lol

Sometimes Spring has just two fields and maybe half the blue as well - regular campers on the other half. But autumn is 3 full fields astronomy only :)