• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS at Stargazing Live 2013... please read.

Perkil8r

As some of you will know, I am involved with the M Pole observatory at Long Eaton School, not in a big way at all, but I go there from time to time and know the folks that run it. The school is running a few events over the Stargazing Live 2013 period, one such event is on the Tuesday night.

It had been suggested that EMS should try and get involved with Stargazing Live and suggestions were made that we should perhaps try and get involved with the school since it is in the middle of our patch so to speak and I have a foot in the door. I have today contacted the staff and offered to go down there on the Tuesday with my scope. Weather permitting to set up outside and plonk the scope on something of interest for folks to have a look at.

This is an open invite for any member here with a scope or bino's who can get there on the Tuesday to come and join in, get involved and get folks looking skywards. If the weather is typically British, then I am not sure what will happen, there may be room for a few to set up inside just so that folks can see the different sorts of scopes there are out there.

There will of course be other activities going on which I am sure you would all be welcome to get involved with regardless of if you take a scope or not. At the minute this is purely in the discussion stage, so far I have only emailed to offer my services and said that I would try and drum up some support. Come on folks, lets get involved, or if not let's at least get down there and join in with the event anyway. I'm not suggesting we get involved with public speaking or anything too technical, just set up some scopes and show some folks some pretty things in the sky.

Details as taken from the website :

Stargazing Live will be back on our television screens on January 8th, 9th and 10th 2013. Here at the Malcolm Parry Observatory we are running a number of events for Stargazing Live that you may wish to come along to.

Events open to the public:

Tuesday 8th January, 6pm: Mars as the Abode of Life

A talk by Anu Oja, head of the National Space Academy.

In the 400 years since the astronomical telescope was first pointed skywards, no planet has so caught humanity’s imagination as Mars. Since 1965, spacecraft flybys, orbiters and landers have revealed a fascinating world – one that is presently more Moon-like than Earth-like and yet with tantalising clues that point to a warmer, wetter past. This lecture will explore how our understanding about the Red Planet has developed over the centuries and include spectacular demonstrations illustrating the consequences of Mars’ surface conditions on unprotected human explorers. Did life ever arise on Mars? Is it still there now? Could it be related to life here on Earth and could Mars become a future home – or perhaps refuge – for humanity?

The talk will be followed by the Long Eaton Star Party – bring along your telescopes and binoculars for a chance to observe the night sky and chat to other astronomers. The observatory will also be open weather permitting.

Wednesday 9th January, 6pm: A beginners guide to the Moon

A talk by Chris Newsome from Derby and District Astronomical Society.

This will be followed by a chance to examine some real lunar soil samples, rocks and meteorites. There will also be a viewing opportunity in the observatory weather permitting.

For more information: See Website

The observatory is atop my old school, now a new building, but the school I attended back when sliced bread was new. The scope is a Meade LX200 16" on an isolated pier running through the building into it's own isolated foundations. It is a real nice piece of kit!

If you want to get involved, please leave a note in this thread, or let me know via PM so I can give them a rough idea on numbers. Please don't sy you will if you have no intention of going through with it though. If you are thinking of attending purely as a passer by so to speak, then please do let the school know via the website links provided as I am sure they will need to plan on numbers etc.

Let's get EMS on the local map :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• Daz Type-R

• Sheila

• philjay

Wish I could Mike but I'm out 12hrs a day working/commuting plus I have evening contract work to do - as well as cooking and and other domestic stuff. Shame we didn't get any volunteers to join in doing our own EMS thing on the weekend for this - but it's all a bit late to arrange now as we mentioned at the weekend meet at Wymeswold.

Next year I'm determined we'll get the ball rolling earlier - but it will still depend on volunteers - there's only 6 mods and we can't put a good show on without help. Hope you have a good time and it all goes well mate. :)

To volounteer there needs to be something to volounteer for.... nothing to my knowledge has ever been mentioned hence why I suggested we try and get involved with the school events almost a week ago. If there hd have been anything mentioned I would have been in there right away. Time is ticking hence me putting this thread up now rather than afterwards. It'll be a shame you can't be there Kim, hopefully there'll be plenty of folks there though. :)

Yeah - I know you'd have been there like a shot mate - me too - I think it went round by word of mouth and there was some mention in the voting threads but it all kinda fizzled a bit and didn't gain momentum. The thing is - it needs a lot of planning cos it has to be interractive stuff - no talks - and lots of astro orientated exhibits.

Also - it needs to be indoors mostly apart from going outside to use scopes and bins etc. We'll get this going properly next year - I was gonna do the Leic Astro Soc w/e event but they made it ticket only by random draw - Felix got lucky for that one. I'll still be out at the weekend if it's clear :)

Just had a reply from the school, there's stuff on offer for us! :) so come on, get involved!!!!

• That would be amazing - I was hoping that some experienced people might come along with some scopes. As you say - we don't want massive queues and I will be tied up in the observatory. It will be great for visitors to be able to have a chat to you all about your set-ups, I know that we have at least one person who is bringing their own scope and hoping for some advice on how to use it too. Let me know how many of you there will be and I will book you seats for the talk (Anu is an awesome speaker) and get you some vouchers printed up for some free hot food.

PS... I might join the forum myself.

• PPS... we had a bit of local press interest last year and are hoping for the same again this year. We can mention to them that we have had the support of East Midlands Stargazers with the event which might get your site a bit of nice publicity. I can't promise this as you never really know for sure what the press are going to do!

Mike - Count me in for bringing a scope along. I will not have much to talk about if the weather doesn't hold, but if it does I can train it on something interesting. :)

Sounds perfect Mike, lets hope quiet a few of our members take this marvellous opertunity up. The talk and the chance of some hot food sounds great as well.

This is real good find Mike and I like to say thankyou on behalf of EMS for doing this.

Also say thanks to Hayley for allowing this.

Just to add, it is confirmed that if the weather is typically British we will have plenty of room indoors to set up so that people can look at different types of scope and so on. Sorry if the information is a little disjointed, it's kind of on the fly a bit due to the short notice of it all.

It might be an idea to note the kind of exhibits and activites they do. We may be able to incorporate them (or variations of them) when we finally get our own gig together. :)

Mike, you mention a Tuesday, what date?

I`d be up to bring my scope along and try and offer advice as best I can etc.

With enough notice I should be able to arrange baby sitting duties.

With regards to doing our own EMS Stargazing live event thingy, I don't recall hearing anything about it, would of loved to of given a hand helping out.

Just re-read the above, Checking it's Tuesday 8th January?

Edited by Daz Type-R

Daz, see original post: "Tuesday 8th January, 6pm: Mars as the Abode of Life" ;)

Kim, all the information is already there on the website or above regarding what will be there / happening over the two days :)

This is probably not a good time to mention that I do not like kids... :unsure:

There will be adults there to play with :lol:

So far then, there's myself, Craig and possibly Daz. Anybody else??? I would like to try and let them know how many by the end of thursday if poss so they have time to sort the details before the school break up. It's all happening on the firt week back, so this really does need sorting sooner rather than later.

Mike really sorry but I'm now a NO.

Got the babysitter lined up only to be told by work I can't leave early, so won't finish until 5:30 which will leave no time to get home to get the scope and then get back to Long Eaton. (Scope and child will not fit in the car). Earliest I would be looking at getting there would be 7:30, far too late to set up and prep etc. so sorry about that, would of loved to of got involved and spread the word about EMS at the same time. :(

No probs Daz, although you'd be most welcome to come along later without a scope or whatever.

^ What he said...

Mike.

I may be back in, formulating a plan with a certain somebodys help  ;), can you give me until tomorrow lunch time and I will have a definate answer?

Of course I can Daz, there is no deadline as such, I just want to give them an idea before they break up, which I understand is Friday :)

The list is:

Me,

Craig,

Sheila,

Stephen,

Daz - Pending...

Any more for any more? The more the merrier, if you don't want to bring a scope you can bring yourself and just enjoy the talk and hopefully see the obs... If you do want to attend please be sure to email the school if you want to attend the talk, there is plenty of room no matter how many want to go, but depending on numbers depends on which room / hall they will use. If you would like to participate with the EMS side of things please let me know and I will add you to the list so the school can organise things.

Edited by Perkil8r

Has Stephen said he is going or have you added him just because Sheila is going?????

;)

Also, I was planning on helping out with the EMS side of things.

Edited by Daz Type-R