• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS at Stargazing Live 2013... please read.

Perkil8r

Are we going to be inside or out or both, or is it weather dependant?

Im not too fussed about the talks etc, so if everybody else wants to go, I don't mind staying behind to guard the scopes.

I'm hoping to be there around 17:00 hrs as well.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• Daz Type-R

• Sheila

• philjay

If it's clear, we'll set up outside, if not then inside. Fingers crossed, they are trying to sort security to keep an eye on equipment if we all attend the talk. There is room indoors no matter what the weather so if anybody particularly doesn't want to set up outside that should be no problem.

Setting up will be from 5pm although there is no fixed time as such, so arrive as and when after then. I'll likely be there from before then so I can get stuff organised, not that there's much to organise, but you know what I mean.

It'll probably be 6pm ish for me, at the earliest.

I reckon I'll be able to attend.

It should get a bit quieter after all the festive malarkey has finished, and customers will be reverting to tight mode for a couple of months.

In saying that it didn't happen this year.

I'll just book an hour or two off, I can just make that up. 

There's not going to be a Moon about until a lot later, so I'll bring the Dob.

Great stuff, looking like a good turn out, let's just hope it's clear. If not, can we please still try and bring some scopes so we can still show folks what is availble, it's far more interesting than nothing at all :)

I know there is at least one member of the public bringing a scope along with the hope of some help in getting set up etc.

Edited by Perkil8r

Great stuff, looking like a good turn out, let's just hope it's clear. If not, can we please still try and bring some scopes so we can still show folks what is availble, it's far more interesting than nothing at all :)

I know there is at least one member of the public bringing a scope along with the hope of some help in getting set up etc.

will bring my stuff regardless of weather then

Sheila

Hello.

Seeing as my car in not currently road legal, I'm sorry to say I'm no longer going to be able to come along.

:-(

Sorry to hear that, hope you get it sorted soon. If there's anything I can help with, let me know :)

Good point....

Postcode is NG10 3NP. The enterance is off Thorsby rd. There is a pedestrian enterance off Myrtle Ave but not for vehicles s it used to be before they rebuilt the school.

It starts at 6pm but there is no finish time as such as it will go on longer if clear than if cloudy I expect. I wouldn't think it will carry on past 10pm though at the latest. There's nothing to stop anybody leaving early though so don't let that put you off in any way. They re trying to organise some security for if we end up leaving kit set up outdoors so everything will be safe.

Speaking to my brother in law today, they have been making red covers for the outside lights too as they can't be turned off.

I'll await confirmation from those who wish to "help out" before I pass more info on to the school. On the topic of CRB's which was mentioned in the shoutbox, as long as it is after 3pm when the general students have left there is no requirement. This hs been confirmed by the school who have checked it out just to be on the ultra safe side.

Anybody who just wants to go along to look, please feel free! The talk should be very good and worth listening to. If interested in attending for that please email the school so they can choose the appropriate sized room for it and put you down for a seat. Details of all events over the period are posted here in the first post as too is a link to the school observatory website. They have at least one newcomer with a scope who intends bringing it along for help in setting it up, let's make it a good night :)

Ok, Sheila has got all my kit loaded in her van, so I'm a go, Mike, I just have a few questions....

In the quote box above you have specified a post code and entrance as well as a start time, but how far is that from where we set up, are we inside or out, can we park close to where we set up or have we got to lug all our kit 600 yards through a maze of corridors, also should we be there earlier so we are set up for 6 ??????

I was planning on getting there at 17:30 ish, retrieving my kit from Sheila's van and setting up!

I just need to know where to go and where to park?

Erm........

Go through the gate and head right along the drive, the car park is at the end, it's big and will have cars in it I imagine :P

It all depends on the weather I guess. From the carpark it is about 300yards I would think to where we would set up if clear. If it's not looking good we will be indoors, the exact location I don't know, although I think it is likely to be in the main building and turn left down the corridor. Best bet I think is that I will circulate my mobile number amongst those whom are attending so as you arrive, if you don't see any of us I can come fetch you. Does that sound like a plan?

I intend on getting there early, so will suss it out on the day pretty much as it's all dependant on weather really. Set up is "officially" from 5pm and I think things are starting at 6pm. Not sure exactly what time the talk will start etc, but I think the public are arriving from 6pm. I'm sure we'll be able to help eachother set up if needs be.

If it is clear (which is looking possible) we just need to find some nice easy targets between ourselves, nice and bright if we can. Maybe Jupiter, M45, M42 if it's high enough, that sort of thing. Blobby will be out of the way so on the plus side it won't be washing stuff out, but on the negative side it's something easy to show and is quite interesting to a newbie I guess. Maybe other suitable targets might be clusters, double cluster for instance should be quite well placed.

EDIT: We might be able to get cars etc closer to unload and load, but only by around 100yrds or so as the building is in the way, I will have to ask at the time. The corridor if we are outside is only a few yards and through the classroom out to the field, it's pretty good access really. Maybe they will have a trolley we can borrow.... I will see what I can sort :)

Edited by Perkil8r

Cheers Mike, your phone number round us lot sounds good, I know what I was asking sounded daft, but I have never been there before so do not want to park in the wrong place to only struggle with all my kit, when a simpler car park could of been used.

I was only pulling your leg. To be fair, if you've not been before it would be easy to end up at the "special" school :facepalm: So indeed, valid, in the main gate and turn right, follow all the way down to the end. Trya and park as far towards the fence on the left (as you enter) it'll be apparent. Look out for my van, you won't miss it :) and I suspect Sheila will be early as always too.

Edit: I'll drop a PM out tomorrow to all with details including postcode, directions and my mobile. If anybody who recieves the PM could please let me know if they are or are not going it will help me to sort with the school for seats/food etc.

Edited by Perkil8r

Guest Kheldar
Mike, dont bother with food for me, I shall bring my own stuff

I'll have Phil's as well as my own then ta!  :D

Edited by Kheldar

I've had a reply from the school:

"We are using the 'orange social area' as an indoor exhibition area as its a big open space. I am still hoping the weather forecast will improve but we have some nice indoor things if not. We have borrowed some lunar soil samples and meteorites, an early space suit and a set of solar panels that were flown on Hubble! We also have some fun activities to set up and the EMS team will have their telescopes. I'm sure we will make a go of it whatever the weather. Laptops and stellarium sounds like a great idea. You could also show some of your photos."

Sounds like there will be plenty to see and do!

The orange social area isn't difficult to find from the sounds of it. Go throught the gate, head to your left between the 2 main blocks. There is a covered walkway linking the two buildings, take the doors to the left end of this and it should be there. It has orange walls apparently.

Edited by Perkil8r

Nice one Mike, I will bring the lap top, then we can have have EMS/Stellarium running, can wifi it to my IPhone so we can have have "live" EMS - hopefully Noel and his ladyboys conversation will not make an apperance!

:)

I'll have a word with my bro in law and try and get us hooked up to the school's interweb ;)

I'll have a word with my bro in law and try and get us hooked up to the school's interweb ;)

Can he sort us out with some electricity as well (if we are inside) my Sony Vaio is over 5 years old so the battery only lasts 1 hrs 30 mins tops?

Cheers Mike.

There will be plenty of elastictrickery, no worries on that part. Although I would bring an extension lead just in case it's a way from where we want to be etc.