• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Altair 8" f4 Imaging Newtonian (ex-demo)

Guest Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

Finally TNT let me into the building to picky my new precious up :) Thankfully no police were lurking around on the A52 on the way home else I might of been in trouble :)

Apologies if you are reading earth titans thread on SGL as this is going to be much of the same as he stole all the mods I had in mind!

It's in superb condition! The only defect I can see on the outside of the tube is a small scuff near the primary cell screws. The mirror may have two or three small spots that I suspect are dust but will check tomorrow when I strip it down.

Here's what was in the box.

gallery_10_7_83973.jpg

The inclusion of one of the shiny blue dovetails was really nice, I've been drooling over these for ages but always settled for second hand ADM ones ......

Here's a comparison next to the 200P. It's only about 4" shorter due to the extended nose after the focuser, and weighs about the same I think. No scales used so it's just my interpretation. You can see the huge difference in focuser position though!

gallery_10_7_60077.jpg

The lovely back end (oo-er!) No immediate signs of slop in the primary cell, but I have the silicone just in case ...

gallery_10_7_146688.jpg

The focuser which on face value looks better than I've read of it. Doesn't appear to be much (if any!) slop to it, so I might hold off on transplanting the Steeltrack just yet ....

gallery_10_7_57854.jpg

The front baffles, secondary and spider. The tube really isn't as grey as the flash makes out, but I still plan to flock it a bit :)

gallery_10_7_112091.jpg

And finally one all the way down the tube. The baffles go right the way to the bottom! I don't think I can be bothered (yes I'm lazy!) to try and flock between the baffles.

gallery_10_7_33472.jpg

So metaphorically speaking, all dressed up and no where to go! I'm sure the clouds will clear at the most inconvenient point for me to test this out :)

Edited by Kheldar

That blue dovetail looks interesting - if you're after a beefier blue "plate" style dovetail from the same stock I'd be interestd in a trade of some sort (I'm after a smaller one) just let me know :)

Guest Kheldar

Thanks guys.

Yes Rob it's f4.

and yes Martyn, I'm going to have to get that collimation down to a tee! Might be time to give in and try the Barlowed laser rather than Cheshire followed by standard laser ...

Can't afford a Cats Eye yet!

Can't afford the gas bill either now but that's another matter :D

Kim PM en route ;)