• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

9x60 ?

stovesy

I'm still thinking about some new bins.

I re-tried my ancient 10x50s (supplied by Dixons or similar in the 1980s) and the image is quite poor.

So as part of my scouring around I've seen these.

Hilkinson 9x60 BCF Lunar Binoculars Grey - 7624

I'm thinking that for what I want (casual sky scanning at the moment) larger 20x80's will be a pain.

I wonder if these will give better light capture and a better field of view.

There are also 12x60s by Visionary which I've seen???

Any comments would be helpful

Cheers.

Pete

60mm should be OK , anything larger and it gets very hard to hand hold, also if you go beyond  x10.

The 12x60 I would say to get a steady image you will need a tripod or monopod.

I have a pair of Inpro 9x63 and they are very manageable weight and mag wise. I did have some 25x100s but never used them as much as the 9x63s. They are easily manageable without a tripod and are good low light binos

The only thing I would suggest, is buy off a reputable dealer. Ask on here if anyone has had good/bad service, it could save you a load of hassle.

Tanks for some good points. I'm going to do a little bit more research.

Will update with my progress.

Thanks guys

I've got 20 x 80s I'm not keen on them, wish I had gone for the 15 x 70s now :(

I've got 15x70's and 25x100's and the big binos can only be used on a tripod and the 15x70's can just comfortable be handheld but not for very long unless laying on a sun lounger.

Well they arrived yesterday (Hilkson 9x60's)

Had a brief chance to try them yesterday evening, between stargazing live finishing and some hazy high cloud arriving.

And under the orange glow of West Bridgford, coupled with my lack of knowledge  I still managed to pick out a few  fuzzies.

I've realised I now need a sun lounger (or moon lounger).

I wonder if anyone knows of a 'sky tour' for binoculars ? A list of objects I could reasonably be expected to be able so see.

Maybe we could compile a PDF with a list and some finding instructions???

Cheers

Congrats Pete - you'll have fun with them for a good while to come - meantime pop down to a session and compare with a look through some scopes :)

Martyn.

Thanks, that's just what I need.

Is it worth and admin setting perm a link to that ?

A learning resources section would be a great place to dump such stuff so us beginners can have a good browse through. (Or have I just not found that place on the forum yet ?)

And I think I've even found a suitable moon lounger :)

Thanks all.

Martyn.

Thanks, that's just what I need.

Is it worth and admin setting perm a link to that ?

A learning resources section would be a great place to dump such stuff so us beginners can have a good browse through. (Or have I just not found that place on the forum yet ?)

And I think I've even found a suitable moon lounger :)

Thanks all.

In the beginners section right at the top there is a guides and tutorials section, some good stuff in there, defiantly worth a look.