• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Carry case?

catman161

Does anybody know of a company that stocks or would make a carry case for the tube and or base of a Skywatcher 200p?

Thanks

I don't think you will find one due to the size, quite how you would get the base of a dob in a carry case I have no idea, when transporting mine I just put it on 2 pillows on the back seat of the car, and put all 3 sealbelts round it and the base in the boot with everything else.

Thanks Darren. I have found this however. I am intrigued.....

/>http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-padded-scope-cases.htm

I guess I could use the one for the XT8-I can't imagine the dimensions are that dissimilar to the 200p?

Thoughts anyone?

Felix

Guest Kheldar

I don't think you will find one due to the size, quite how you would get the base of a dob in a carry case I have no idea, when transporting mine I just put it on 2 pillows on the back seat of the car, and put all 3 sealbelts round it and the base in the boot with everything else.

Ditto!

Thanks Darren. I have found this however. I am intrigued.....

http://www.scsastro....scope-cases.htm

I guess I could use the one for the XT8-I can't imagine the dimensions are that dissimilar to the 200p?

Thoughts anyone?

Felix

£72 for a bag? I'm a shopaholic when it comes to my kit, but that's a little OTT IMHO ....

There must be plenty of other kit you want to get for that money ;)

Edited by Kheldar

Felix.

IMHO, I would not bother with that, it is just a glorifyed carry bag and you could spend £72 on much better stuff (right angled correcting finderscope - £75, Telrad £40-50) for example.

Like I said above, I think 2 pillows on the back seat of the car will offer more protection than a thinly padded bag, and while it is stored in the garage I use this.....

http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/Cases_and_Bags.html

£26 and it is awsome, I just leave my scope assembled, put it in the upright postion and put that cover over the top.

Over a year in the garage with that over the top and my scope is in perfect condition (see photos in equipment section)

All the above is my own personal opion, I just think you could spend your cash on much better things than a bag.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your opinions guys. I think you're right.

I was going to ask about right angle adapters for the under scope on my 200p or a telrad I thought they looked quite useful.

Is the finder that comes with the scope not great then? Is it worth buying a right angle adaptor for it?

Felix

That meant to say finder not under!

The right angled correcting finder scope is the same as the standard finder scope that comes with our 200P's, the only difference it, it is right angled and not straight through (for me it made it easier to see through), it is still a 9x50 mag and it corrects the image, so up is up, left is left etc, really handy when searching for things.

The Telrad is a miracle in my opion, makes star hoping to things you cant see soooooo much easier as you can use both eyes while the red circles help you to narrow in on your target.

Your more than welcome to pop up and "try before you buy"

Thanks daz, Il se how I get on with the finder first it may be that I end I up like stephen and don't get I. With them.

I do like the concept of the telrad very much, so I will see how things go and may take you up on your kind offer of a try on the telrad if I decide to take that route :)

Mine goes to nearby sites on the back seat, and to star parties in an old duvet, which I then put on the ground in the tent and kip on.

I haven't had any problems yet.

Regarding moving your scope, take it off the base, and put it on something like a kneeling mat to protect it, and screw the handles back in and use them to carry it. It just gives you something a bit more secure to lift with, they can get a bit slippery when wet!

We put the 300P on the back seat and the base in the boot. Usually with a bit of padding round the ota, seat belts and some bungee chords with hooks at each end. Just have to collimate it when we get to Kelling which is no biggie. But Sawley and back it holds collimation for a couple of sessions most of the time. We use the same cover from Greenwich - stays outside all week at Kelling under that and never suffers at all :)

Oh - I use the Orion 9x50 Raci on the dob and sct - it's brilliant (imho). Also putting a telrad on the dob next to the finder once it's all flocked. The S/W finder is a good bit of kit and you might be able to get an attachment to turn it into a Raf. You can deffo get one to make it into a guide scope but wouldn't be much use on a dob. Bern at Modern Astronomy is good for stuff like that :)

• 6 months later...
Guest BlueShift

I've just bought a golf bag for my 200p, and it fits the bill perfectly!

Obviously, the base stays separate, but the tube fits nicely with the finder removed.

Best of all, it only costs £22 delivered, from Amazon, it's padded, it has a large pocket for eyepieces etc and it even has wheels (smooth surfaces only!). More than adequate to keep the dust off and or transporting in the car.

Check it out here: http://www.amazon.co...ils_o01_s00_i00

I bought a cover/bag for my 8" newt and it was £17.99 plus £6 for a duvet from tesco and job done. The bag is an awning bag from Lowdham

caravans. It fits whole thing in with scope wrapped in duvet. Has carry handles and zips up. Thought I got away quite cheap :)

Sheila

It would fit my 10" F4 SNT OTA, but only if I took the focusser off :angry: .

If you know someone handy at sewing it might be easy to alter it :) or how about cutting into the pouch from the back to make room for the focuser

Edited by Teslar