• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Battery Box

catman161

Just wanted to share my thoughts on my new battery box that I purchased off Fleabay.

First impressions are good. The material it's is constructed from seems flexible but durable. The electronics seem well wired, all compact and grouped well, although I did cut the cable tie holding the positive cable right alongside the negative as on my Baz battery (as with all batteries I guess!) the positive and negative terminals are on opposite sides of the battery :)

The 65 amp/hrs Baz battery fits in the box easily with about 2cm all around it so plenty of room for insulation material.

The switches all seem very solid and the power indicator switch functions well with a set of LED's showing the condition of the battery when the red button is pushed which is handy for showing when a recharge is needed.

There is just the one female cigar socket on the box. I will pick up a 4 way cigar socket adaptor from Maplins tomorrow probably.

There are two carry handles on the side of the box which makes it easier to lift. The strap is a little fiddly to fit through the slots but necessary to keep the lid securely in place on the box.

All in all I am pleased with the build quality and features. I don't think I could have made a battery box for cheaper than £47 delivered so I am chuffed with this :)

Edited by catman161

Oh very nice Felix - that's a much quicker way to get a field box suitable for outdoor use. Shame you have to use a 4-way ciggy adaptor - won't 2-way be enough?

Oh very nice Felix - that's a much quicker way to get a field box suitable for outdoor use. Shame you have to use a 4-way ciggy adaptor - won't 2-way be enough?

Yes I guess for now a two adaptor would be enough. But I thinking ahead it when I get some dew control kit. A one plug will be taken up by the mount and the other by that and just wanted to plan ahead or anything else that needs power really. The cooling fan power will cone from the mount power lead as i have just take delivery of a two way tip positive splitter as recommended by Dion. Don't want to buy a two way cigar adaptor and find that I need more plugs is all. The 4 way will fit nicely in the recession on top of the lid and be held in place by Velcro on the bottom and the strap over the top. I will cut the long lead that ends in the male cigar plug of the adaptor and make it a more manageable length to keep it all compatible and tidy :)

I would have had one if I could find one at the time. Mine cost me a lot more than that to make, and I'm in the trade :o Good find :thumbsup:

If anybody wants one the link to them is below and in later purchases thread also. Alternatively just search "marine battery box" on eBay and it the second from top in results list.

http://bit.ly/RwgFtI

Edited by catman161

• 2 weeks later...

It is a great box, Perkil8r recommended me this box the a few days ago, it arrived yesterday. (Cheers Mike).

My Baz battery is considerably smaller though and swimming in there. I'd like one of those bad boys. (Thanks Baz.)

I am at a loss to how I will charge it up though??? Mark.

Hi Mark, they are grey but don't try to move the box by the strap with the battery inside as mine snapped at the stitching around the buckles. Some heavy duty staples an a stapling gun and a hammer later and it's solid ;)

You'll need one of these to charge it http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0012U5BO2

Martyn was telling me at Belper that you have to have it plugged in and left on charge permanently. The charger in the link above is an intelligent charger and charges then discharges on a cyclic basis to stop lead oxide forming and therefore preserving the health of the battery. Every days a school day with Martyn-top bloke :) The cool thing about the box is the negative and positive terminals on the outside of the box. Once you have the wires all connects up inside the battery lid you can use the crocodile clips that come with the charger and charge the battery without having to remove the lid :)

Edited by catman161

Great cheers Felix. Top tip about using the outside terminals, I wouldn't have known that. Thanks for the link. Mark. ;)

I was thinking about putting a nut and bolt through it to stop it moving....

I have been looking at that Polar alignment link you gave me.

Thanks Baz, I'll have a look at that.

Hi mark yep an nut and bolt is a good idea. It's what I intend to do. The staples were just a temporary fix as I broke the strap jut before coming to Belper the other weekend :)

Super glue/epoxy resin would likely be a neat fix. Staples can be a bit sharp, unless of course you tape after to cover them. To be honest, I have carried mine and it seems ok as it is, although I wouldn't want to carry it far. Let me know how you get on. M.

No glue is not an option for my battery-far too heavy! You can lift it at next meet and you'll realise immediately. Staples not a problem being sharp as I hammered the ends around. You can run your fingers all over them without fear of laceration. Anyway I will pick up some small nuts and bolts and sort it properly when I get a minute.

Get some "penny" washers as well, as they are bigger than normal washers. These help grip and spread the load.

I would advise you get stainless as well, so they don't go rusty.

Martyn;

Yeah good thinking batman. Nice suggestion.

Felix;

Yeah I forgot yours is a bigger battery.