• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Slow motion tracking

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Hi - I have a basic mount with slow motion tracking for a starter scope (4" reflector). The slow motion tracking (left to right - not sure that is the technical term) appears to have stopped moving. You can turn it but the scope doesnt move, although I think it feels as though it is gripping. Any thoughts on how to fix?

Guest Kheldar

Hi - I have a basic mount with slow motion tracking for a starter scope (4" reflector). The slow motion tracking (left to right - not sure that is the technical term) appears to have stopped moving. You can turn it but the scope doesnt move, although I think it feels as though it is gripping. Any thoughts on how to fix?

If it has a clutch (to release the mount for moving by hand) then make sure that is fully tightened up.

Also check where the slow mo control connects to the mount : there should be a tiny grub screw. Check that's tight as well.

Guest CodnorPaul

top man - thank you - all fixed.

And there was me thinking I would have to replace my daughters Xmas present (4" reflector) for an 8" dob - might break it again...

Guest Kheldar

top man - thank you - all fixed.

And there was me thinking I would have to replace my daughters Xmas present (4" reflector) for an 8" dob - might break it again...

Things do have a habit of falling down stairs ...... :D