• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

5th January Auriga Doubles

philjay

Poor visibility with loads of high mist and thin cloud but I just had to get out with a scope for once.

Scope = 127 Meade EDT on Celestron CGE mount

Decided to have a go at some Auriga doubles

Omega Aur - STF 616

A nice easy pair to start with. A mag 5 and mag 8 pair at 5.4" separation. Easy with the 13mm vixen (73x) No colour difference just a nice mag contrast

5 Aur (STT 92.

A bit closer now with a 3.7" separation with mag 6 and 9 components. Could just catch the fainter component with 73x but dead easy with 190x (5mm vixen)

STF 644

A colour contrast pair this at 6.8 and 7 mag and 1.6" separation.

No chance splitting at 73x but 190x showed space between them easily. Colour was a little difficult but I would say they were Orange primary with blue white secondary, difficult to tell in the conditions tonight.

14 Auriga

A real tester this one, a triple with 5.1. 11.1 and 7.4 mag components. Separation is 11.1 between the brighter components and 14.5" for the fainter. No way with 73 or 190x could I find the fainter component but the main pair was a nice sight.

AE Auriga in the Flaming star

The mount decided not to drive in RA at this point so game over for tonight... drat

Cracking report Phil, interesting and enjoyable read. I only got in from what was supposed to be a quiet one just now! I must admit as we left at 8pm yesterday I looked up thinking I would much rather be out learning about my new mount and polar alignment. Hey ho it was SWMBO's birthday yesterday so of course we had to celebrate both nights! :)

Guest Ely Ellis

Excellent Phil,

I had my scope out last night but had loads of trouble with alignment and all I got to see was Jupiter.

However what I saw of Jupiter was far better than I have seen it before, noting that I could see 4 bands clearly and also darkend polar regions. Before colimating my scope, I could only just make out 2 bands from my back yard.

Would have loved to get some doubles in last night, but things just didn't go my way.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Pat, the separation is in most databases and gives you a good idea of how its going to look. My favourites are the small seps, these test me, the kit and the seeing, makes observing them a bit more interesting. Sometimes a non split on a pair says more than an easy split

And to finish off the report last night, I went back to try for AE Aurig in the Flaming star nebula and now my mounts working I found it, whehey

mag 6 and 8.5 double with a nise easy separation of 8.4". This was dead easy at 73X and you could drive a bus through the gap at 190X. No colours discernable to me at either mag just white stars.